Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:41 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2012 silverado or 2012 f150 help me choose

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2012, 1:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 silverado or 2012 f150 help me choose

first off hello all.
well i will be getting a new truck its ether a 2012 LT 4x4 crew cab or a 2012 f150 eco-boost crew cab XLT
i just got out of my 2011 f150 with the eco-boost. well truth be told it was lost due to a drunk teen.

i thought i would shop around and i have to say after my test driver's i like the way the ford pulls and tows awesome. but the ride on the Chevy is a little smother more car like.

so i have to ask all of the owners here just how much do you tow?
i own a travel trailer and it is about 8000 pounds loaded with the camping gear in it.

the little v6 ford never once let me down and pulled more like a diesel than a gas motor.

i want to know just how well the Chevy 5.3 tows?

the ford has so much room in the back seat i can Neal down in there with my feet touching front seat and still have about an inch before my thigh touches the back set and i am 6.4".

the Chevy seems to be the same design as my old 01 work truck.
the ford is all new designs.

ford has synk witch is awesome and very easy to use with your own phone the Chevy seems to have on stare that will cost me the service i think.

only thing i can say about the seats are they work and both are OK for comfort. and both are power drivers and have option for the passenger side.

Chevy has white diamond.
ford has sandstone both are very cool color!

Chevy cost was $44,600 +/- with 2000 in rebates
the ford was $42.800 +/- for has 1500 in rebates plus a $750 bonus cash

both have 20" wheels

both have tow packages and six speed transmission

i don't remember if the Chevy had a rear locker in or not the ford has limited slip or rear locker

the ford has 4 wheel disk
the Chevy only had front disk

so please tell me all the pros: & cons: of the Chevy silverado
i have a open mind and want to get the best for my money as we all do!
thanks for all your inputs
Old May 1st, 2012, 8:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Chevy 5.3 will tow it just, will it be a race car? Not at all. But it's all up to you. From the sounds of it you're stuck on the ford because that's what you had before and it was great. The Chevy doesn't have as much room in the back that's for sure. If you get the z71 version of a Chevy it has a limited slip g80 in the rear end but it's still 2wd. Brakes won't matter much when pullin if the trailer has brakes on it as well to help out. I think the fords are nicer on the insides but instill am skeptical about their reliability issues. I see them quite often on the side of the road, hood popped, while my 01 has 200xxx and is still used as a truck, pulls just as hard as fords i've been next to off the line and I'm on 35" nitto mud grapplers
Old May 1st, 2012, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

thanks country_09 the hole reason i was looking at Chevy's was i like the ride and look! but i do like both trucks for different reasons! guess i need to think this through a little more! have you ever gone on long trips with a family in your truck was it comfortable? i think the Chevy might just get better mileage. my eco-boost only got hi 17's and put a tt on it drooped down to 10's. i know all trucks will drop down when towing but i must admit i am liking the silverado more and more. only thing is chevy donut offer the sales books like they used to and its hard to find out some things from the net. every time i try to get spec's ill get close then a windows pop up "get your dealer quoit now " and kicks me to another site
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:29 AM
CF Senior Member

I have done long trips in my 99 z71 twice. Once to panama and once to destin, I'm 18 so i know my passengers aren't the same as yours but all in all we rode comfortably. I towed a 22 ft monterey deck boat to panama. If you dont know dry weight of the boat is just shy of a bout 3500 not putting in all the luggage in their with a 30 gallon tank filled. I burned about a tank and half to drive there and back at about 65-70mph. I love the chevy and will never go back; however, my friend will never leave ford. Im in the same boat with country09 i dont trust their reliability, but its a vehicle and they all break. Hope you get what you want
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

My dad has a 08 vmax crew cab and I'm 6 2" and I sit in the back pretty comfortably. We drove to New Mexico from houston(18 hours) and I didn't have a problem sittin there. It's all preference man, I know that a 5.3 will get the job done and more, plus with the Chevy it's easy to mod lol . But if you're towin I'd look at the z71 version, not the 4wd one though, unless you want it. The z71 should come with 3:73s gears and a g80 posi diff for towin and better traction. The v8 will probably be around the same numbers mpg wise as the Eco boost v6 was honestly. Keep it stock and get a custom tune an it'll go up, along with helpin the shifting of the 6 speed while towin
Old May 2nd, 2012, 9:37 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

I will start by saying that up until recently I would have only purchased a Chevy truck. The Chevy has always been much easier to repair. However lately all most all the new Chevys have a long list of problems. The dashes are cracking on the trucks in under 60,000 miles. the inner and outer door handles are breaking.The trim on the steering wheel finish comes off. My truck had less than 36,000 miles on it when I bought it, when winter came around and I used the 4-wheel drive for the first time (now out of warranty by 2,000 miles) it would disengage the 4wd and light up service 4 wheel drive light. They have many problems with the EVAP systems. There is a guy on here that has a 2010 or 2011 Tahoe(he bought it new) that has been in and out of the shop over 20 times in the first year. Almost all the cars have issues with the steering shaft from 2000 some time until present, you would think the could design it better in that time frame. So I can not believe I am going to say this but BUY THE FORD. I see many more Chevys in the shop than Ford.

Last edited by MDTAHOE; May 2nd, 2012 at 9:39 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:37 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
...when winter came around and I used the 4-wheel drive for the first time (now out of warranty by 2,000 miles) it would disengage the 4wd and light up service 4 wheel drive light...
MDTAHOE,

I just wanted to check in to see if this had ever been resolved? If we can look into anything further, please let us know.

Best,
Sarah (Assisting Louis)
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 3rd, 2012, 5:51 PM
CF Beginner

thanks all
ford dealer called to tell me he didn't want to sway my vote but he will give me some x plan pricing? he said he will be knocking 10,000 off right price of truck.
its the same thing ford dose for there workers.
so i called the Chevy dealer to see if they offer the same type of deal? my sales guy told me here at Chevy they are so broke we don't even have brochures any more. go get the ford! and ask him if he will sale me a truck with that kinda deal! call me and let me know. i laughed a little, he said did i tell you a joke i was dead serious ill buy one! i wanted one for a year now and don't know if i would get fired if i bought one but a deal like that why would you buy are crap? so later i called back and got someone other than my salesman i was dealing with, he told me the something! he said Chevy was to broke to give a truck with that much of a loss in profit! and for me to please bring it buy when i get it and show him my truck he wanted a eco-boost as well.

so it sounds like the sales staff dont even stand buy what they sale over there. i was so close to buying that Chevy crew cab 4x4 LT. that attitude and all the crappie reviews i have read ill be buying the new ford but thanks all ill post up pics as i am on my way down to sign the deal at 7 pm tonight
Old May 3rd, 2012, 9:54 PM
CF Junior Member

I don't about being broke
GM had a 7.8 billion dollar profit last year
When you combine the seirra and silverado they out sell the f150 by a lot
The fords are nice though good luck!!
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK,
I have a new E150 workvan from my employer, had it since new.
The tranny is slipping, door locks make an aweful "EH"!!! Sound every so often
And I just got it back from the dealer cuz I noticed fluid leaking out the differential,
Turns out an axel seal went out saturating my rear brake pads.
Chevy has a better warranty for a reason.
Fords have issues plane and simple.
The most common things you may hear about a GM is an electrical issue
Which most times are easily solved.
Go with Chevy and don't look back.

And if you are not doing any hard off-roading, the GM indipendent
Suspensions make for a MUCH more comfortable ride.
Plus I agree with you. I love the new look.
Especially looking straight at thr front.