Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 1:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

2012 Silverado - Radio High pitch constant ring

Old April 15th, 2012, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High decible ring

I bought a new 2011 Silverado about a month ago. About 10 days in I started noticing the same really high-pitched sound everyone else is complaining about on this thread. The woman says I'm crazy--but its effing there.

Its not the radio like I first thought; its the instrument panel. The noise persists for about thirty seconds after turning the vehicle off. I disconnected the battery to try a reset (no luck) and then pulled a bunch of the fuses to try and isolate the problem circuit. Also with no luck. Taking it to the dealer some time this week with these posts as backup now that I know I'm not crazy.

If you have this problem please post as well. I anticipate difficulties with the dealer.
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> dvfsu123,

Does the noise increase with speed? If you dim the interior lights, does the noise lower or go away completely?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 16th, 2012, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

update on the high pitched noise- went to the dealership service center. my service advisor acknowleged a noise and sent it back to the service dept for futher investigation. 4 hrs later , and a 50.00 rnetal fee charge I had to pay I get a call from the service advisor telling me that "GM does not consider this to be an issue" and "there is no procedure for repairs" - Due to the electronics in the dashboard the noise is normal. Im just curious.. does anyone have an issue? or the hundreds of page views on silverado dashboard high pitched noise just people passing time.
Old April 16th, 2012, 1:56 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call and ask for sevice log there got to be a referral number or something if gm knows about it there a log somewhere
Old April 16th, 2012, 1:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Seems to be more then us
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...4l17l0.frgbld.
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default High Pitch Noise-Further Investigation-Light Sensor

I read a post of someone relating this issue to the automatic daylight/night sensor for turning the head lights on and decided to experiment. I have realized the same thing. When my head lights are on, the very high pitch noise is less severe than when I drive during the day and head lights are off. I noticed this when I drove into my dark garage during the day...louder with lights off outside...then drive into the dark garage and the headlights turn on and the annoying high pitch sound is less...still makes me really upset. I have spoke with my dealership on the phone and they claim to know nothing about it and said their repair manager needs to take a ride in the car with me. They said this is not something their standard technician should evaluate and need to schedule a time when the manager is around to evaluate...sounds to me like the manager has experience with this and will tell me this is normal or he does not hear it. I will let you know how it goes. GM HELP!!

Last edited by dvfsu123; April 16th, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old April 17th, 2012, 4:04 AM
CF Senior Member

If mine did it I would unplug everything and plug in one at a time till I found it I could not deal with that lol sorry guys mine makes a noise when I drive behind cab out side
Old April 17th, 2012, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 GM noise from dashboard

Ok guys, I think I have it this time.. After exausting my options with the dealer I started the process of elimination. I narrowed the high pitched noise issue down to a central area in the dash around the center console. Just to make some clarifications, the high decible noise is almost like a dog whistle, very high on the spectrum but very distinct when you pick up on it. The sound is not effected by speed or accelleration of any kind. It is present at all phases of driving or sitting in the vehicle with the motor OFF. The dimmer switch as mentioned in many forums may play a role in the elevation of the noise but I have yet to have it work for me. The sound emmits a noise as if you left your tv or computer moniter on at night next to your bed side. almost electronic humming of sort. except multiplied by several times.

I went through the entire fuse box one by one and when the radio fuse is removed it stops. One fashion or another it is associated with this particular fuse link powering a device or possibly the radio itself. Im at the point Im thinking of getting a new radio since GM is telling me its not an issue. I beg to differ from all the posting I find over the internet of complaints on the same issue. would a new radio work do the trick? what happens to the onstar and satallite radio service?
Old April 17th, 2012, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

I have not noticed a correlation between speed and the sound or the interior lights and the sound.

the guy a few posts down says he pulled the fuses and isolated it as being related to the radio.

Does the noise increase with speed? If you dim the interior lights, does the noise lower or go away completely?

Louis
GM Customer Service[/QUOTE]
Old April 17th, 2012, 1:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Big Dave rewire radio power wire if its inline won't make noise unless its radio I have a thetoscop (Dr uses hear heart) helps find alot its about time someone started pulling **** and finding it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Silverado - Radio High pitch constant ring