Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 27th, 2015, 1:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

2012 Silverado - Radio High pitch constant ring

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2012, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio noise

I pulled the fuse from under the hood and that killed the power to the radio. I was told by a GM manager that contacted me after i filed an officail complaint that this is considered normal. BullS##T.

Louis @ GM ----> the noise does not increase with speed. the noise does not decrase with speed. The noise is present when you open your door and sit in the vehicle with out the key in the ignition. The noise is not a grounded speaker or a bad CD or Bad reception on a radio station because the car is not even on! no keys in vehicle, no car charger, no kids, no rice crispies popong in my cereal bowl.

I took the vehicle to a radio shop and asked him to price out changing to an aftermarket radio but asked him to listen to see if he can hear anything... exact words ---> "Dude,,... what the F@@@ is that"

Placing your ear 6 inches from the tuner you can distinctivley hear a noise. farther back in driving position the noise is still there.

And no I dont have hearing problems, PTSD , shell shock or served on a cannon crew. So GM dont tell me this is normal.

Ill tell you what's normal-- Class Action Lawsuit
Old April 17th, 2012, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

GOOGLE mosquito ringtone. Similar noise high frequency noise standard in most 2012 Gm radios. I contacted GM customer service and opened a case file. Nothing done, got nowhere. GM would not answer any questions in this radio electronic noise issue in several GM vehicles. GM manager stated NORMAL OPERATION, thanks have a nice day. When asked how many complaints have been filed on this high pitched noise in 2012 GM vehicles I was told "that is another department"

Sorry folks!! Your getting the run around and nowhere fast.
Old April 17th, 2012, 6:20 PM
CF Beginner

Bigdave-----Did you ask what the cost would be or whether it would fix the problem--did you replace it?

Last edited by aries95; April 17th, 2012 at 6:23 PM.
Old April 17th, 2012, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2011 silverado and now that i think of it i too had a high pitch noise.But i changed the radio and speakers and nothing now. I can tell ya half of the truck runs through that stupid radio. I had to get some special thing for the on star to work and some other box for the sat.radio to work.So it was alittle bit of money but well worth it.
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default High pitch noice is driving me nuts

I'm having the same problem with a brand new GMC Sierra SLE I bought about 2 week ago. big $$ for a truck you can barely stand driving. I really hope I hear of a fix soon or I'll be trying to return this truck. PLEASE let me know if any of you know how to fix this annoy noise coming from behind the head unit! Its going to be hard to recommend this vehicle if this doesn't get fixed.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

The noise is not effected by the speed/acceleration. I opened the door to load my groceries in the truck today on this beautiful sunny day and I was immediatly welcomed to my new truck with this high pitch sound when I opened the door. I had totally forgotten about it until I opened the door. My good mood for the day was quickly changed to being pissed off.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

During the day, have your radio off. Listen for the sound. Then pull into a dark garage and wait for your headlights to automatically turn on. You should notice the sound is less. Then pull back out of garage and wait for your lights to automatically turn off. The sound should be louder if it is like my truck.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 6:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 recall

Contact general motors customer service line. File a formal complaint you must have your vehicle identification number. You must bring your vehicle to the dealer to have official documentation. A confidential source indicated that there is known issues with the vehicles radio system. This is not a ground or filtering problem. gm replaced radio with a complete new navigation system up grade. You must call and complain. The radio was removed from the vehicle and tested at a private facility. It is the cooling fan inside the radio. A technical service bulletin Discreetly given to me shows of numerous complaints. Interested parties with this issue needs to call general motors and complain. Stop reading information from the internet trying to figure out what it is. This problem is occurring in 2012 models such as the malibu arcadia silverado and sierra. General motors technicians are specifically instructed not to replace the radio claiming normal operation.
Old April 27th, 2012, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

replace the radio! Its the radio! You will never have an issue ever again. The radio is junk
Old April 28th, 2012, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

Joined today just because of this issue...

I have a 2012 Silverado LT without the Bose upgrade and have this exact high pitched ring. What's sad is that I actually brought this to my salesman's attention (and the manager) the day I bought it! I went so far as to have them pull up another truck to see if it was common to both and it was. Well, because I wanted a Chevy more than that noise bugged me (at the time) so I bought it anyway.

Fast forward two months...

Today I pulled the fuse on the radio so I can stand to drive my truck. I called the dealership to begin the process of what everyone here says is ultimate rejection. I hope that just one more complaint will help get this fixed. Seeing as how the truck is getting a facelift next year, we might be on our own...

Quick Reply: 2012 Silverado - Radio High pitch constant ring