Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-sierra-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   2014 Chevrolet Silverado (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-sierra-fullsize-pick-ups-21/2014-chevrolet-silverado-59588/)

hoganj October 26th, 2013 1:33 PM

Mine was made in Indiana. Just installed a BedRug and a Fold-a-cover tonneau. Love the mylink. I can start the truck with my smart phone from anywhere in the world. Works a lot better than factory installed auto start systems. Can also download navigation maps from the phone to the truck.

in2pro October 26th, 2013 1:49 PM

Originally Posted by hoganj (Post 259859)
Mine was made in Indiana. Just installed a BedRug and a Fold-a-cover tonneau. Love the mylink. I can start the truck with my smart phone from anywhere in the world. Works a lot better than factory installed auto start systems. Can also download navigation maps from the phone to the truck.

I do like a lot of the features that are coming out, however there is one caveat with the statement "Works a lot better than factory installed auto start systems" the factory keyfob systems don't require a monthly charge, where as the mylink requires you to maintain a OnStar account...

And as far as I understand it , there is very limited upgrade-ability to the system. I had OnStar in my 07 but could not use the MyLink, in fact that is why I dropped OnStar...

I would like to see more in car adaptability to the phone you carry... weather that be IOS or Android, that way the vehicle is always similar/familiar to what you are used to...

hoganj October 27th, 2013 10:19 AM

On Star is free for 6 months and I don't intend to renew. The My Link, however, will continue working for 5 years without On Star.

in2pro October 27th, 2013 10:56 AM

Interesting... that would be great if that is the case:)
Hopefully OnStar can respond to this post and clarify, as I though you had to have a functioning cellular link via a paid OnStar subscription to access the remote link features of remote start and remote lock un-lock via web and cell phone...

OnStar Advisor October 28th, 2013 8:27 AM

in2pro,

I'd be happy to offer clarification! All OnStar equipped 2014 GM vehicles are eligible to use the RemoteLink Key Fob functions, available after your trial and continues for five years from purchase of your new vehicle.

With just the RemoteLink Key Fob Services, you won't have the full functionality of the OnStar RemoteLink mobile app, which comes with services like easily being able to send directions to your vehicle or checking your vehicle's fuel range, oil life, or tire pressure. In addition, there is no access to an Advisor or to Stolen Vehicle Assistance. But you do have the option to get the full functionality of RemoteLink by enrolling in either the Safe & Sound or Directions & Connections plans, if you want. Let me know if you have any other questions.

- Sara, OnStar Advisor,
Social Media Team