Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2014 Silverado Radio Reception Issues

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2014, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good News, Bad News

The good news is after a month and 3 days my 2014 Chevy Silverado is back in my driveway. The pinion bearing in the rear differential needing replacing and due to it being a new model, GM didn't have the parts readily available.

The bad news is the reception still SUCKS on my FM radio!!! Truly awful and full of static on stations that normally come in clear in other vehicles. The dealer said they checked everything out and even drove it around with another truck to see how it compared. They said it was comparable. So nothing was done. The reception is so bad, I am seriously considering trading in the vehicle with 1,000 miles on it and taking the loss. Too bad, because it is a beautiful truck.

I called Crutchfield and after asking me a few questions they said it's most likely the tuner and I'm pretty much SOL. Not happy.

Last edited by Ray Ray; January 15th, 2014 at 3:01 PM.
Old January 26th, 2014, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by airforceret
I replaced my factory fender antenna with an after market and have great FM reception. My XM reception still sucks but the local satellite radio dealer says it's an inherent problem with the poor quality roof antenna installed by GM. We proved this by running an external antenna and aftermarket XM portable receiver for a few weeks with no problems.
What after market antenna did you use? Thanks for the help
Old March 3rd, 2014, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Just bought a 2014 1500 crew. FM reception terrible. Salesman said GM is working on it?? I am interested in what antenna you went with.
Old March 4th, 2014, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 3rd Chevy trk
Just bought a 2014 1500 crew. FM reception terrible. Salesman said GM is working on it?? I am interested in what antenna you went with.
I didn't go with any antenna... I took it to the dealership and they put a plain ol' regular fender antenna on it. That's complete BS if they're telling people it's comparable so they aren't doing anything. Hey Detroit! Make an effin truck with a good ol FM radio. Jesus....
Old March 6th, 2014, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

My dealer spoke with a GM engineer that lives in my area and drives a new 2014 Chevy Silverado. He says the radio reception is a known issue and acknowledges the reception is poor. The engineer also stated that there is no planned fix as of this time.

My recommendation is for people to continue to complain and to complete your Chevy survey.
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:14 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hey xthefifthx,

We're glad to see the issues with your antenna have been resolved. We love reading this kind of news! Please feel free to contact us in the future with any questions or concerns.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I find it pathetic that this "customer no-care rep" has only made a comment on the one truck that was fixed and has offered no help to all of you who are having the same problem with no results.

There is obviously a problem. Too bad they don't care enough to resolve it.

I'll bet if it one of the service techs or service writer was having the same issue they would have fixed it by now.
Old March 9th, 2014, 9:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Is there only one type of radio in the 2014's, the one with the nav?
Old April 29th, 2014, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with the radio signal as well. I noticed it as soon as I picked it up from the dealer. I thought it was just me but thanks to this forum, I'm getting some issues addressed. Thanks Ray Ray for posting this. I will mention this to my dealer.
Old April 30th, 2014, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default One type of radio?

Originally Posted by mad max
Is there only one type of radio in the 2014's, the one with the nav?
No, there is a basic non-nav radio with a small screen (I think it is 4 inches) and then there is a 8 inch screen with Nav and also Bose version. As far as I know, all of these are having the issues. There is a thread on GM-Trucks.com where a member is working with an engineer. They visited him, reproduced the issue and are now trying to determine a fix. They think it has to do with how the radio handles lower signal stations - it actual switches to mono vs. stereo and then HD drops altogether which, in turn sounds horrible. Keep bringing it up and letting GM know how bad it is. Thanks
Old May 1st, 2014, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chuckl1218
There is a thread on GM-Trucks.com where a member is working with an engineer. They visited him, reproduced the issue and are now trying to determine a fix.
You wouldn't happen to have a direct link to that thread would you?

Quick Reply: 2014 Silverado Radio Reception Issues