Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2015 1500, first oil change, problems already?

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2015, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 1500, first oil change, problems already?

hello all, I bought my truck on January 2, it has 6998 miles on it, I took it in today for the first oil change and tire rotation. as I drove out the lot, I felt vibration in the steering wheel. I chalked that up to the tire rotation, BUT... now I noticed when im at a stop or a slowing down and then as I press the gas pedal. it seems to have a little studdering in the truck. it feels like it shaking a bit, only way I can describe it. when I press the pedal down at a red light and it feels like it trying to g-g-g-go.

when they change the oil and rotate tires, is there any additives they put in with the oil, i.e. seafoam type additive.

a friend also said that if the fill it up too much with oil it will also drive funny and hesitates.

Oil is about 5"above the top dot.
Old June 26th, 2015, 12:43 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If it's 5 inches above the top fill dot, it's way overfilled. Probably twice as much oil as it should have. The crankshaft and piston rods are contacting it probably turning it into an oily foam which can cause all sorts of problems. I'd drain that extra oil ASAP. Easiest way is to suck out a quart or so at a time through the dipstick using a pump of some type until it's back to the correct level.

You may want to complain to whoever performed the oil change first.

They either forgot to drain the oil and just filled it up and never checked the level or double filled it and never checked the level. I've seen it happen. My uncle was changing the oil in the inline 6 in his jeep and somehow both him and his father added 6 quarts each to it thinking the other had not done it yet. It ended up blowing oil out of every orifice in the engine.
Old June 26th, 2015, 9:06 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by skt4271
hello all, I bought my truck on January 2, it has 6998 miles on it, I took it in today for the first oil change and tire rotation. as I drove out the lot, I felt vibration in the steering wheel. I chalked that up to the tire rotation, BUT... now I noticed when im at a stop or a slowing down and then as I press the gas pedal. it seems to have a little studdering in the truck. it feels like it shaking a bit, only way I can describe it. when I press the pedal down at a red light and it feels like it trying to g-g-g-go.

when they change the oil and rotate tires, is there any additives they put in with the oil, i.e. seafoam type additive.

a friend also said that if the fill it up too much with oil it will also drive funny and hesitates.

Oil is about 5"above the top dot.
Hello Skt4271,

We truly apologize for the unexpected concerns with your new truck, and we can understand how frustrating this may seem.

Feel free to send us a private message if additional assistance is needed, and we would be happy to look into this more for you. Be sure to include your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care