Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2015 Silverado 2500 MyLink locking up

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2015, 3:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's how I came by the information I quoted. I asked. I was told "those are downloaded automatically to your truck."
Old January 26th, 2015, 6:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default Upset

Well, I spoke to soon when I said it appeared fixed over the weekend. I started the truck this morning and everything was fine. I backed up out of the driveway and took off as normal only to look at the screen about 2 blocks away from home and i noticed that the time display was gone. I tried to adjust the volume and as I suspected it was locked up. The red light was on my mirror indicating that the Onstar was also not working as has happened each and every time. Now I am upset!!! The truck is sitting at work with the radio blaring as it will not shut off. When it gets light out I can go disconnect the battery before it dies. Should have kept my 08!!

Not a happy camper in Wisconsin!
Old January 28th, 2015, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Frustrated

Talked with the dealership and now it will be next week before I can even think of getting my truck back? The radio they ordered and hope will solve the problem was supposed to be in today but wont be here until the end of week now. I cant believe this? Has anyone else had my same problem and did it get fixed? If so then what did they do? Thanks.
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

I didn't have the issue to your extent. For me, it only happened if I used OnStar and they sent turn-by-turn directions instead of loading the destination into my Nav unit. When they did that, everything froze like yours did, but turning the vehicle off, opening the door, closing and locking the door, then wandering around for an hour, unlocking, opening, starting and everything was back to normal.

I came by that sequence the hard way. The hour of letting it sit after locking the door was the difference maker.

Took the truck in and the dealership re-loaded the software. Took three tries (4 hours) to properly complete. Hasn't had that issue since BUT I've only used turn-by-turn once. They've sent directions to the Nav unit every other time.

Yours sounds severe enough that a radio replacement might be in order. And, yeah, it takes a while to get the part thanks to just-in-time, as-necessary assembly lines. They just don't HAVE extras.
Old May 16th, 2016, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE: Had OnStar download directions to my NAV system over the weekend (I pretty much use Waze exclusively) and, sure enough, it locked up, again. Radio, nav, climate buttons all useless. Shut the truck off for 10 minutes at the next fuel stop and all was well.

Now, if I could just find a way to hack the system so that my iPhone will work as well with MyLink as Windows Phones do. I miss that. Might go back to Windows for just this reason.
Old January 21st, 2017, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Both of my MyLink radios exhibit the same problem.

I have two Chevrolet vehicles with MyLink Radios, and both exhibit this same problem, plus additional problems, all of which started occuring after the Chime Recall and re-programming. I have been working for over 3 months with my local Chevrolet dealer attempting to resolve the problems, but so far, there have been no solutions that worked.
In addition to the radios locking up while using OnStar Turn-by-turn navigation, there is also a problem when trying to listen to music stored on a USB drive. When listening to an Album, if the car is shut off and the driver exits the vehicle, when she returns to the car, the next song played is always the same, and seems to be the second song in the first album (alphabetically) on the USB drive.)
Before the Chime Recall, the radio continued on the same album, as it should, but somehow, with the new software, the radio now forgets which album it was playing, which is annoying, since it always reverts to the same track. (which doesn't happen to be my favorite song anymore)
Another problem that started after the initial "MyLink recall" is that now, the time synch does not work. When I originally got the cars, the radio could be set to automatically synchronize the time. This feature no longer works on either of my MyLink radios. Such a simple thing, but highly annoying.
The following users liked this post:
robequintero (November 13th, 2020)
Old January 22nd, 2017, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

This might sound silly, but try a different dealership. While in Tampa, I had to hit the dealership for an OBD issue and, while there, the service adviser said, "You're about 5 updates behind on your MyLink system. Want us to update that?" That's been six months, ago, and I haven't had a MyLink issue since. ( Haven't tried your USB music thing, though) The original dealership kept insisting no updates were available. They'd re-flash the same version I had and hope for the best.
Old April 27th, 2019, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Hi,
i have a 2015 Chevy Suburban. The my link screen freezes or randomly changes the screen. When using navigation on long trips, the maps just wanders off. Went to dealer and was charges $119 for diagnostics then told that the My Link just couldn’t be fixed and I would have to purchase a whole new unit for $1000. This seems ridiculous to me that your technicians simply can’t fix a computer problem and we have to rebuy The Who,e unit after 3 years of use. Can someone help?
The following users liked this post:
robequintero (November 13th, 2020)
Old April 28th, 2019, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Have you ever had the software updated? Try a different dealer and see if they'll update or re-install the latest software. That fixed the issues I was having. The Chevy dealer nearest me charges insane amounts for simple procedures. They've lost my truck once - yeah, lost the whole truck - and misplaced my keys causing a nice delay in getting my truck back. I now take it to a Buick/GMC dealership a little farther away. I'm much happier there.
Old May 15th, 2019, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

There is no fix. I've had my Chevrolet Spark to three dealers trying to get the problem fixed. They cannot duplicate the problem, even though I have written up in the work order, exactly how to cause the problem. I have also driven out of a dealership that could not duplicate the problem, had onstar download a route, then driven back into the dealership with the radio locked up, and asked (sarcastically) why they couldn't duplicate the problem.
The reason this is happening is that some programming change has placed operating code in the same area of memory where Onstar places route data,, which causes the program to freeze. Dealers are not equipped to solve software problems, and G.M. doesn't find it profitable to fix software problems.