Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

350 TBI Starting Problems

Old January 29th, 2009, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 TBI Starting Problems

I have an 88' k2500 with a 5.7l tbi 350. It was sitting for the last couple of years, so I replaced the basics (fluids, oil and fuel filters, battery..... ect...). A couple of months ago I got it to start (had bad gas, probably not a great idea) and it continued to run for about twenty minutes; but it quickly died and wouldn't start. By watching the injectors I figured out that they wouldn't fire. So I poured some fresh fuel into the throttle body and it would fire up for a few seconds and run like a beast. That still left the problem of the injectors; the first thing that came to mind was the fuel pump, from the outside of the truck there wasn't an audible sound so I thought it was dead. Turned out later (after draining the old fuel and pulling the tank off and checking the pump) that it wasn’t it because nothing changed. I ended up catching my engine on fire because of petrol residue on the block and split ignition coil wire gapping. This ended up burning up one vacuum hose (so my engine will run lean). I replaced the old coil wire with a new one and I'm not worrying about the vacuum tube just yet. Later on after giving up for about a month I decided to try it again but after turning the key into the ignition I found out that my radio and heater were dead. I pulled the fuse cover off and was browsing the different places and one caught my eye; it said 10A INJ A+B, wow I felt really stupid. I put new fuses in and now the injectors will fire and I have spark but even with starting fluid it won't fire at all. What is the problem?
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If the coil wire was bad enough to need replacing, i'd put money on the rest of the wires needing to be replaced. also check the plugs.