Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   4 wheel drive problems please help (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/4-wheel-drive-problems-please-help-37710/)

chris4735 November 20th, 2010 12:34 PM

4 wheel drive problems please help

hi there. i have a 2006 gmc sierra 5.3l Z71. im having issues with my four wheel drive. while driving down the highway i noticed some noise almost like a howl, when i shirt into 2wheel it goes away. also while trying to turn around it seems to really bind up hard if i stop 3/4 of the way thru the turn ill shift it into 2 wheel all the binding and pressure just releases and i can fully turn around. any imput would help me out thanks. chris

2wd-K5 November 20th, 2010 3:00 PM

are your tires worn unevenly? this is a big thing with 4x4's if you dont rotate your tires, the fronts wear much faster than the rear and create an uneven tire combo for the system, u can blow the transfer case by driving like that, if it is the case

silverado13 November 22nd, 2010 11:00 AM

is it going into 4wd by itself?

dieseltorque4x4 November 22nd, 2010 11:11 AM

towing on 1976 1ton dually

what is the towing capacity of a 1976 reg cab 4x2 1ton 454 dually for conventional towing and 5th wheel towing

chris4735 November 23rd, 2010 9:49 PM

no i shift it into 4wd.

gotstylez November 23rd, 2010 10:13 PM

agree with 2wdk5 on the howl.....and the 2nd problem from what i read on the post its normal..if u put anything into 4wd and turn sharp..it'll bind up

lucian*91 November 24th, 2010 12:49 AM

WOAH... dont drive down the highway in normal conditions four wheel drive. axel ratios front to rear are not the same and will screw up your gears in the front. as for the grinding,thats because the front wheels turn together and when you turn, the outter wheel wants to turn faster then the inner wheel to make the turn, thus making it bind.. 4wd is for slippery applications where grip is needed, not already there. otherwise use 4wd auto

CJ_Tiz November 29th, 2010 3:55 AM

Originally Posted by chris4735 (Post 163738)
hi there. i have a 2006 gmc sierra 5.3l Z71. im having issues with my four wheel drive. while driving down the highway i noticed some noise almost like a howl, when i shirt into 2wheel it goes away. also while trying to turn around it seems to really bind up hard if i stop 3/4 of the way thru the turn ill shift it into 2 wheel all the binding and pressure just releases and i can fully turn around. any imput would help me out thanks. chris

Your joking right? Tell me your not running 4wd at highway speed on dry conditions!!! If you are good luck!

silverado13 December 1st, 2010 9:39 AM

thats why i asked if it was going into 4wd by its self because i assumed you werent doing it and then driving on the highway, your going to mess some serious stuff up like that

Nissan_Ranger December 3rd, 2010 4:47 PM

From the 2005 GMC Owners manual: Avoid driving in four-wheel drive on clean dry pavement. It may cause your tires to wear faster, and make your transfer case harder to shift and run noisier.

No big warnings about different axle ratios and all that stuff...