Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 10th, 2015, 6:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

4L60 Transmission Problem in '94 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2010, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60 Transmission Problem in '94 Silverado

I have a '94 Silverado with a 4L60 transmission. Recently it stopped shifting properly. When I take off, I have to ease off the accellerator to get it to change gears. With the transmission in over-drive, it acts as though it is slipping. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this and a fix for it?
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM
CF Active Member

its either your band is to worn or your clutches are going out, you need a rebuild, i just finished rebuilding my 4L60E about a week ago and it runs perfect
Old December 29th, 2010, 6:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default 96 chevy 4x4 trans slipping in 3 & $

The trans in my truck was rebuilt less than 4000 miles. I was hauling a colbat on a trailer a couple of days ago trans started slipping and check engine light came on. I stopped checked fluid ect. shifted to 3 and drove easy some 20 miles to home. Now driving normal all OK . Accelarate quickly and slipps in 3 & 4 gear. I got the codes and the seam to be trans problems. The codes are P1870 & P0240. Is there any thing that I can do or check ??
Thanks Joe C
Old December 29th, 2010, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

Okay, I will do the rebuild if you were having the same problem and solved it that way. I just have to wait for the weather to warm up cause it will probably be an outside job.

I will let you all know how it goes.
Old December 30th, 2010, 2:41 AM
CF Active Member

since i rebuilt my tranny ive gotten to know it pretty well and realistically there are only, 3 parts that are likely to fail, they are clutches, band, and the electronics, everything else is just gear like parts, like the sprag, sun gear, drums, ect, so in almost every case of a transmission starting to go bad, you can solve it with a cheap rebuild, if anyone has any questions about the rebuild, you can PM me
Old December 30th, 2010, 2:44 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by jcoffey
The trans in my truck was rebuilt less than 4000 miles. I was hauling a colbat on a trailer a couple of days ago trans started slipping and check engine light came on. I stopped checked fluid ect. shifted to 3 and drove easy some 20 miles to home. Now driving normal all OK . Accelarate quickly and slipps in 3 & 4 gear. I got the codes and the seam to be trans problems. The codes are P1870 & P0240. Is there any thing that I can do or check ??
Thanks Joe C
transmissions can be really sensitive after a reuild, it could have been rebuilt wrong, and if thats the case, alot of parts tend to wear alot faster, especially after towing, who rebuilt yours?
Old December 30th, 2010, 1:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey silverado, what guide did you use for your rebuild? GM? ATRA? or B&M? Or some other company?
Old December 31st, 2010, 7:43 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
hey silverado, what guide did you use for your rebuild? GM? ATRA? or B&M? Or some other company?
http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Over...3802701&sr=8-2
Old January 4th, 2011, 6:07 AM
CF Active Member

hey guys try this website and tell me if it helps, http://www.gmtruckhq.com/?q=node/93
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

Smile

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions and help. I had to get my transmission rebuilt though. I had it scanned and the guy told me the 2/4 band was no good.

I spent a little more money, but this is the first major work I've had done to the truck since I've had it...if it carry me another 100k miles or so, I will say it's worth it.

Quick Reply: 4L60 Transmission Problem in '94 Silverado