Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

4L60E deep or shallow pan??

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2009, 11:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E deep or shallow pan??

ok guys i need to change the trans filter on my 05 Z71 - im showing 2 different filters, one for deep, one for shallow pan, how do you tell? im assuming this is a deep pan being that it looks almost 3" deep...
gotta change it this weekend trans is starting to shift weird and slow about going into reverse when its cold. also does anyone know off hand how much fluid i need? use dextron VI only right?

Last edited by racerx55; June 25th, 2009 at 1:00 AM.
Old June 25th, 2009, 3:18 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

There is a number on the side of your transmission which is a code. That code tells you everything about the transmission and what material to use.

Remember to heat up the car and transmission. If you do that, the fluid of the transmission will come out fluently. After you opened the pan do NOT use rag or cloth to clean out the remainders. Small dust particles are very very bad for your car. You can blow it out with a compressor but its not really necessary. And dont overtighten the bolts when you re-install it all.

The amount of fluid you need to put in, will differ from what kind of pan you will use.
I thought the pans on the 4L60E are standard sizes. Although it is possible to put on a deeper pan. Dextron VI is good.
There are other brands which are equally good. (ATFII is also commonly used).

The normal amount of fluid is 11 to 12 qts. Just fill it up with 5 QTS and then get your engine running. Go through all gears and recheck. Then add some more. Then recheck , add some more, ...untill it gives you the right amount. Do not forget to put your car level and always shift through all gears before rechecking.
"Hot" on the dipstick , means that your car has reached operational temperature. (optimal operational temperature, that is).

It will NOT need more then 12.5 qts. Do not overfill, because this will cause your transmission to malfunction. For more information :

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/4l60e.htm

Good luck.

Last edited by Koffietje; June 25th, 2009 at 3:22 AM.
Old June 25th, 2009, 3:35 AM
CF Active Member

lol i know how to do it Ive done hundreds of them.
when you look on any parts store website there are shallow or deep pan listed, and 2 different part numbers of replacement filters. so i guess theres 2 different stock pans.
im probly wasting my time these GM trannies are a piece of **** anyway and ill be rebuilding it before it hits 75k miles.
i just cant find a stated fluid capacity from pan removal in the book or online anywhere and i dont like buying much more fluid than i need to considering its close to $7 a Qt.
i might just stop by the dealer and get a GM filter, just to be sure i get the right one the first time.
Old June 25th, 2009, 1:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

My 4L60E has a similar pan size as you are describing, but when I bout the filter for it, it didn't specify that there were 2 different filters. Must have been a change made post-2000.
The only difference will be how far the filter drops below the pickup tube inside the pan.
Old June 25th, 2009, 3:39 PM
CF Junior Member

More than likely it's the DEEP PAN. If the pan is level all the way along the bottom (not talking about where the drain plug is), it SHALLOW. If the pan has a lowered area towards the front it's a DEEP pan. I've also heard a shallow pan does not have a drain plug (could not verify).

Success,
Old June 25th, 2009, 5:34 PM
CF Active Member

i know for a fact there is no drain plug on it.
its flat across the bottom.
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:05 PM
CF Active Member

for future reference, deep pan, no drain plug. not quite flat.

Last edited by racerx55; June 26th, 2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old August 20th, 2011, 3:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by racerx55
ok guys i need to change the trans filter on my 05 Z71 - im showing 2 different filters, one for deep, one for shallow pan, how do you tell? im assuming this is a deep pan being that it looks almost 3" deep...
gotta change it this weekend trans is starting to shift weird and slow about going into reverse when its cold. also does anyone know off hand how much fluid i need? use dextron VI only right?
I have two vehicles with the 4L60E transmissions. My 1998 S10 Blazer 4x4 has a shallow pan and it is basically flat across the bottom. My 2005 Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4 has a deep pan which is is shallow across the rear 25% portion of the pan and then deeper on the front 75% of the pan except for a shallow front corner on one side and then a shallow round indentation near the other front corner. My 2005 Silverado did not have a drain plug on the factory pan, but a factory style pan with a drain plug is available from a company called Dorman. Having a drain plug on a transmission pan is so nice. I cannot tell you how many times I have splashed tranny fluid all over myself removing pans without drain plugs., especially since many times you have to struggle around obstructions. It is interesting to note that I had one of the first 1999 Silverados that came out and besides having four wheel disc brakes (as opposed to the disc-drums on my 2005) it also had a deep transmission pan with a factory drain plug. I have not done it yet, but I am assuming the deep pan will work on my smaller Blazer so long as there is no cross frame braces or exhaust crossovers in the way. I am going to try that soon and I will let you know if the deep pan works on my Blazer that came with the shallow pan. PLEASE BEWARE, MY 2005 Z71 IS A REGULAR CAB SHORT BOX AND I AM NOT SURE IF IT IS THE SAME ON THE EXTENDED OR CREW CABS, BUT TO GET THE PAN OFF YOU MUST UNBOLT THE TRANSMISSION/TRANSFER CASE FROM THE CROSS MEMBER (THERE ARE ONLY TWO EASILY ACCESSIBLE NUTS) AND THEN JACK THE BACK OF THE TRANSFER CASE ALL THE WAY UP AGAINST THE FLOOR OF THE TRUCK. THEN YOU NEED TO DISCONNECT THE CABLE SHIFT FROM THE BRACKET AND GENTLY BEND OR PRY THAT BRACKET FAR ENOUGH OUT TO BE ABLE TO SLIP THE PAN BY IT. THAT SHIFT CABLE BRACKET ENCROACHES ON THE SIDE OF THE PAN AND DOES NOT GIVE YOU ENOUGH ROOM TO GET THE PAN OUT WITHOUT GENTLY BENDING OR TEMPORARILY PRYING THAT BRACKET OUT OF THE WAY.

Last edited by jandkgrav; August 20th, 2011 at 3:25 AM.
Old January 6th, 2013, 6:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jandkgrav
I have two vehicles with the 4L60E transmissions. My 1998 S10 Blazer 4x4 has a shallow pan and it is basically flat across the bottom. My 2005 Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4 has a deep pan which is is shallow across the rear 25% portion of the pan and then deeper on the front 75% of the pan except for a shallow front corner on one side and then a shallow round indentation near the other front corner. My 2005 Silverado did not have a drain plug on the factory pan, but a factory style pan with a drain plug is available from a company called Dorman. Having a drain plug on a transmission pan is so nice. I cannot tell you how many times I have splashed tranny fluid all over myself removing pans without drain plugs., especially since many times you have to struggle around obstructions. It is interesting to note that I had one of the first 1999 Silverados that came out and besides having four wheel disc brakes (as opposed to the disc-drums on my 2005) it also had a deep transmission pan with a factory drain plug. I have not done it yet, but I am assuming the deep pan will work on my smaller Blazer so long as there is no cross frame braces or exhaust crossovers in the way. I am going to try that soon and I will let you know if the deep pan works on my Blazer that came with the shallow pan. PLEASE BEWARE, MY 2005 Z71 IS A REGULAR CAB SHORT BOX AND I AM NOT SURE IF IT IS THE SAME ON THE EXTENDED OR CREW CABS, BUT TO GET THE PAN OFF YOU MUST UNBOLT THE TRANSMISSION/TRANSFER CASE FROM THE CROSS MEMBER (THERE ARE ONLY TWO EASILY ACCESSIBLE NUTS) AND THEN JACK THE BACK OF THE TRANSFER CASE ALL THE WAY UP AGAINST THE FLOOR OF THE TRUCK. THEN YOU NEED TO DISCONNECT THE CABLE SHIFT FROM THE BRACKET AND GENTLY BEND OR PRY THAT BRACKET FAR ENOUGH OUT TO BE ABLE TO SLIP THE PAN BY IT. THAT SHIFT CABLE BRACKET ENCROACHES ON THE SIDE OF THE PAN AND DOES NOT GIVE YOU ENOUGH ROOM TO GET THE PAN OUT WITHOUT GENTLY BENDING OR TEMPORARILY PRYING THAT BRACKET OUT OF THE WAY.
Did you ever put the deep pan with a drain bolt on your Blazer?

I have a 2001 S10 4x4 4.3 auto - and was thinking about this?