Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   4l60E PROBLEMS! (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/4l60e-problems-58050/)

00derek May 4th, 2013 8:47 AM

4l60E PROBLEMS!

I bought a 97 chevy 1500 4x4, "needed transmission". simple right?
I got a used tranny, put it in and had no shifts and no speedo. bought another tranny, put it in, same problem. Brought truck to local aamco and they notices my VSS wires had come undone, and that fixed my speedo and shifting, so it seems. Now i only have 1st and 2nd, and reverse. 3rd seems like its in neutral or back to 1st gear.
so after aamco told me this, i swapped the tranny again, and still same problem. good 1st, 2nd and reverse. but 3rd feels like neutral. please help me, i would hate to pay for a rebuilt tranny and have to do this a 4th time if not nessessary

Allan In NE May 4th, 2013 10:05 AM

The first order of business is to pull the codes. Don't just simply stand there blindly throwing parts at the truck; you could spend a lifetime doing that and get no where.

Know what's going on FIRST. :)

Allan

Brok May 4th, 2013 2:16 PM

2-3 shift solenoid is most likely going bad. I can list a few more possibilities but I need to get to some others no here and help finish things for them and get them running again. I have a whole section of issues that would address your problem. One other thing you could check is to post that on google search as I know what areas that lays in and it is a lot of typing to post all reasons why it does that.

Brok May 4th, 2013 2:18 PM

Does this system have a vacuum modulator system, or have they

been replaced with something new?

Allan In NE May 4th, 2013 7:28 PM

Originally Posted by Brok (Post 247387)
But from what I read it sounds more or less like your 2-3 shift solenoid is shot and you can't get into 3 since your not going to third your not going to 4th. The only other possibility is that your 2-3 shift accumulator went bad with one of the springs or pistons and those are easy fixes. Which could lead me to believe that you may encounter a bad 3-4 shift accumulator valve down the road.

I would submit that there is no "2-3 shift solenoid". Also, there is no "1-2 shift solenoid" nor is there a "3-4 shift solenoid". That just is not how it works.

4 speed GM automatics use two shift solenoids which are plumbed hydraulicly in parrallel/series. Then, the result of their combined effect (on/off state of each of these individual solenoids), will give the proper application of the proper friction components within the transmission to produce the idicated gear or ratio.

Additionally, just blindly "guessing" what's wrong would certainly be futile and a massive waste of time, because if something is "out of parameter", the ECM is programmed to block any shifts above second gear to protect the unit.

Many things can and do cause the 4L60E not to shift to third gear. Knowing what is ACTUALLY wrong would be advantagous before ever picking up a wrench.

Allan

Serpent May 4th, 2013 8:59 PM

Hi Derek! I've been Dyno testing 4L60E transmissions for a while now and from what you've described it doesn't sound like it's a transmission problem. If you're getting the same thing with 2 different transmissions, I would say the problem lies elsewhere. If you used the same valve body, it wouldn't be a shift solenoid because if you have 1st and 2nd, both solenoids are working properly. The reason why is because 1st gear, both A and B solenoids are on, 2nd is A off and B on. 3rd gear both solenoids are off and 4th is B off and A on. I see a lot of 2-3-2-3 shift patterns when solenoid A has failed. I would check the wiring harness.

Brok May 4th, 2013 9:48 PM

Oh, wait, sorry, double post...

Brok May 4th, 2013 9:55 PM

4L60E 4L65E Transmission Solenoids,4L60E 4L65E Transmission Parts On top of it for the 4L60E transmission. Hope this helps...

Brok May 4th, 2013 9:58 PM

Automatic Transmission Parts WOW look here just a picture of what a 1-2 2-3 shift solenoid looks like. I'm so happy to assist my fellow Chevy owners.

George of Jungle just here to help...

Brok May 4th, 2013 9:59 PM

4L60E shift solenoid 4L60E transmission shift solenoids Here just click that last link. I am sure that tells 1-2 2-3 shift solenoid and even gives you a picture as well as I can pull it right from my ASTG book.

It's a great source of reference, for helping solve these problems.