Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

4l60E PROBLEMS!

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2013, 10:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH, sorry, double posted again. My bad.

Last edited by therewolf; May 7th, 2013 at 1:04 AM.
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Serpent
Hi Derek! I've been Dyno testing 4L60E transmissions for a while now and from what you've described it doesn't sound like it's a transmission problem. If you're getting the same thing with 2 different transmissions, I would say the problem lies elsewhere. If you used the same valve body, it wouldn't be a shift solenoid because if you have 1st and 2nd, both solenoids are working properly. The reason why is because 1st gear, both A and B solenoids are on, 2nd is A off and B on. 3rd gear both solenoids are off and 4th is B off and A on. I see a lot of 2-3-2-3 shift patterns when solenoid A has failed. I would check the wiring harness.
I didn't read that you had a 2nd transmission put in but yes I have to agree with Serpent here. If I read that you swapped it and you have the same problem. It could lye in the electrical somewhere. If you can get a continuity tester, which makes it a lot easier or you can try to test one wire end to the transmission plug in line and see if each prong works. That is a good point he brought up. Since you switched transmissions and your having the same problems and all. I would use a digital multimeter to test each prong and make sure you are seeing proper voltage/resistance out on each one.

Oh and this link is for Allan, anything to help, bro. GM 4L60-E transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia THIS IS RIGHT FROM GM.

Last edited by therewolf; May 7th, 2013 at 1:06 AM.
Old May 4th, 2013, 11:14 PM
CF Junior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4L60-E_transmission LOOK AT THAT. I'm happy this will help.

Last edited by therewolf; May 7th, 2013 at 1:10 AM.
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Serpent
Hi Derek! I've been Dyno testing 4L60E transmissions for a while now and from what you've described it doesn't sound like it's a transmission problem. If you're getting the same thing with 2 different transmissions, I would say the problem lies elsewhere. If you used the same valve body, it wouldn't be a shift solenoid because if you have 1st and 2nd, both solenoids are working properly. The reason why is because 1st gear, both A and B solenoids are on, 2nd is A off and B on. 3rd gear both solenoids are off and 4th is B off and A on. I see a lot of 2-3-2-3 shift patterns when solenoid A has failed. I would check the wiring harness.
I agree 100 percent with what he wrote since he pulled that is how they work. Still if you plan to check the wiring harness easiest way would be to test each prong end with a digital multimeter and see if you have an open or short by checking voltage out from each one. If you do not see the proper voltage or resistances than you have a bad wire to that prong.
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:10 AM
CF Junior Member

ANOTHER double-post! Perdon' moi.

Last edited by therewolf; May 7th, 2013 at 1:12 AM.
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:16 AM
CF Beginner

Wire harness. Trust me.
Old May 5th, 2013, 4:33 AM
CF Junior Member

Talking Keep trying ALLEn but I actually know my transmissions and engine work.

This may be a shifter problem?

Last edited by therewolf; May 7th, 2013 at 1:14 AM. Reason: Rule compliance
Old May 5th, 2013, 4:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Another D/P. DANG! sorry...

Last edited by therewolf; May 7th, 2013 at 1:15 AM. Reason: Mistype
Old May 5th, 2013, 5:42 AM
CF Junior Member

30 Common 4L60E Transmission Problems & Repair | Charlotte NC Your problem which I hate to say it is the 3-4 clutches are most likely burnt . I just want to put this up for you Derek this is common transmission problems and how to repair them. It goes though anything from the NON SHIFT SOLENOIDS AND ACCUMULATORS ALLAN SEEMS TO NOT REALIZE ARE ON THE 4L60E transmission. It also list other things that if you ever encountered could help you down the road and is a good reference or page to save. I would still not rule out the 2-3 shift solenoid or accumulators. I know for a fact that yes they can cause you from not being able to get into third gear and it can stop you as well. 3-4 clutches being burnt are more or less the area I would look at. Electrically it is possible and I would not rule that out either. Just remember one thing. If your going to go to a mechanic you get what you pay for. They're is no guarantee just because you got a rebuilt or that transmission that is fixed. A remanufactured transmission or new one is a different story. They come with usually 3 year unlimited mileage or 75k mileage warranties as they are fixed right and they want to make sure there is no problem that they are not swapping out the transmission all the time and losing money. Just a little advice from a guy who has worked on transmissions for over 22 years of his life growing up, started at age 8 and went into rebuilding engines around 16 as I always found it a fun, relaxing thing to me. I am not one to rush a job, I rather take my time diagnose every aspect and make sure I know there is no other problems that can happen down the road. Just a little other advice. 80 dollars and you can get a solenoid kit and replace all the solenoids off the valve side as well depending how easy it is to get to each one. Some can be a little harder to get to then others and require removing a lot of extra stuff which goes back to the sun ball location and those you do not want to lose and remember where they go as they can come in 1/4" sizes to 5/8' sizes to etc. Just be careful if you do plan to do it yourself I know a few friends online that have done this before and have full illustrations of totally rebuilding one and could gladly ask them for the links to their page to help you if you do consider fixing or rebuilding the transmission yourself. Just don't rule out wiring till you actually digitally multimeter all the ends and make sure there is no open or shorts. If there isn't, it is your 3-4 clutches that are burnt, there is also a servo that controls the 3-4 as well and a 2-3 shift solenoid which can all play into this so don't overlook any of these. Best thing to do is check one at a time, electrical be easiest, if you can get to the valve side check the 2-3 shift solenoid after as that be an easy check, from there you could look at the 3-4 servo to the 3-4 clutches if they are burnt.

Last edited by therewolf; May 7th, 2013 at 1:29 AM.
Old May 5th, 2013, 7:03 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00derek
I bought a 97 chevy 1500 4x4, "needed transmission". simple right?
I got a used tranny, put it in and had no shifts and no speedo. bought another tranny, put it in, same problem. Brought truck to local aamco and they notices my VSS wires had come undone, and that fixed my speedo and shifting, so it seems. Now i only have 1st and 2nd, and reverse. 3rd seems like its in neutral or back to 1st gear.
so after aamco told me this, i swapped the tranny again, and still same problem. good 1st, 2nd and reverse. but 3rd feels like neutral. please help me, i would hate to pay for a rebuilt tranny and have to do this a 4th time if not nessessary
First, sorry for ruining your post.

Clear all the codes to clear the ECM memory, then drive the truck until the problem occurs. Pull the fresh codes again and report back as to which are set?

Allan

Quick Reply: 4l60E PROBLEMS!