Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:40 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

5.3L versus 5.7L V8 "Vortec" Engines

Old October 18th, 2016, 5:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default Love those 5.3's

Originally Posted by 2003silveradoz71 View Post
I have 166,000 on my '03 Silverado Z71 all I have ever had to do is replace sensors. You see 250K on these motors all the time. I'm pretty disappointed with the mpg I get with my truck the best I get is about 12-13 mpg. What are you other guys getting?
I have two suburbans, both with 5.3L. My 01 is 2wd with just under 400 miles and is still quiet and plenty powerful, even though it has been totalled twice and is yet again being rebuilt, the body not the motor. It only gets like 15 to maybe 20 mpg on the highway. My 03 sub is 4wd with the flexfuel motor. It gets, and this is no bull****, 28 mpg on the highway when I took it to Atlantic city. The 4wd has all but 300 miles and is super clean, not a drop of oil or grease anywhere under the hood. I recommend the 5.3L to anyone interested in asking about them. I love my subs and would only sell them for twice what they r worth. I noticed that when I put the avalanche 17 inch wheels on I get a little better mileage on the highway, but it'll use more in stop n go situations because they r heavier and take a little more fuel to move them.
Old February 9th, 2017, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2001 Silverado 5.3 4WD that is approaching 327K with no engine work other than a throttle position sensor two times.
Old February 10th, 2017, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

Smile

I have over 300000 miles on my 2000 Silverado RWD and it still runs great, replace front wheel bearing, water pump, spark plugs and wires. The only complaint I have is I have a bad shaking in the steering wheel around 60-65 MPH and itís not every time. I have new tires and alinement but the vibration keeps popping up. Love the truck burns no oil, Trans shifts smoothly.
Old March 7th, 2017, 4:57 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Shaking

Originally Posted by hawkjr View Post
I have over 300000 miles on my 2000 Silverado RWD and it still runs great, replace front wheel bearing, water pump, spark plugs and wires. The only complaint I have is I have a bad shaking in the steering wheel around 60-65 MPH and itís not every time. I have new tires and alinement but the vibration keeps popping up. Love the truck burns no oil, Trans shifts smoothly.
the shaking is in your transmission,you are feeling the shuddering through the steering wheel.go get you some shudder fixx at your local parts house and put it in and it will stop.better do it quick before it starts messing your tq converter up and then you will have to pull the tranny,had the same problem,and the shudder fixx stoped it.it's your clutches in your tq converter,the are getting hard and need conditioning.it will soften the clutches when you add it,it great stuff that actually works..I would do it asap.
Old March 7th, 2017, 5:01 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Originally Posted by hawkjr View Post
that's also why you are only feeling it at high speeds,it is doing it while in overdrive.you can hit the brake just real quick when it's doing this.and it will stop...try and see.that's why you need to add it asap...good luck.let me know how it goes.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Thumper_ehhhhh View Post
Oh im sure the 5.3/327 is different now just like the 5.7/350 is different now. They are just engines that have been improved on. For one the hp now from a stock barebone 5.3 and 5.7 which is standard in all trucks there is no upgrade from the factory other than motor size. Which has much more hp than a stock barebone 327 and 350 of yesteryear. Back then you could get a stage one / stage 2 upgrade for motors or what ever each car make called them.What im saying is the 5.3 is not a new motor its been around a very long time and only improved over the years same as the 5.7. Now the 6 liter is not as old its like a 360ci. I trust something that has been around alot longer and just improved apon. With only 84000 miles on your truck if you treat it well you should have it for a very long time.
the 6.0 or 365cu actually came out in the 50s. I rebuilt one in a 56 Cadillac sixty special last year. Amazing the differences from today.