Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:40 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

5.3L versus 5.7L V8 "Vortec" Engines

Old October 18th, 2016, 5:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love those 5.3's

Originally Posted by 2003silveradoz71
I have 166,000 on my '03 Silverado Z71 all I have ever had to do is replace sensors. You see 250K on these motors all the time. I'm pretty disappointed with the mpg I get with my truck the best I get is about 12-13 mpg. What are you other guys getting?
I have two suburbans, both with 5.3L. My 01 is 2wd with just under 400 miles and is still quiet and plenty powerful, even though it has been totalled twice and is yet again being rebuilt, the body not the motor. It only gets like 15 to maybe 20 mpg on the highway. My 03 sub is 4wd with the flexfuel motor. It gets, and this is no bull****, 28 mpg on the highway when I took it to Atlantic city. The 4wd has all but 300 miles and is super clean, not a drop of oil or grease anywhere under the hood. I recommend the 5.3L to anyone interested in asking about them. I love my subs and would only sell them for twice what they r worth. I noticed that when I put the avalanche 17 inch wheels on I get a little better mileage on the highway, but it'll use more in stop n go situations because they r heavier and take a little more fuel to move them.
Old February 9th, 2017, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2001 Silverado 5.3 4WD that is approaching 327K with no engine work other than a throttle position sensor two times.
Old February 10th, 2017, 8:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I have over 300000 miles on my 2000 Silverado RWD and it still runs great, replace front wheel bearing, water pump, spark plugs and wires. The only complaint I have is I have a bad shaking in the steering wheel around 60-65 MPH and it’s not every time. I have new tires and alinement but the vibration keeps popping up. Love the truck burns no oil, Trans shifts smoothly.
Old March 7th, 2017, 4:57 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Shaking

Originally Posted by hawkjr
I have over 300000 miles on my 2000 Silverado RWD and it still runs great, replace front wheel bearing, water pump, spark plugs and wires. The only complaint I have is I have a bad shaking in the steering wheel around 60-65 MPH and it’s not every time. I have new tires and alinement but the vibration keeps popping up. Love the truck burns no oil, Trans shifts smoothly.
the shaking is in your transmission,you are feeling the shuddering through the steering wheel.go get you some shudder fixx at your local parts house and put it in and it will stop.better do it quick before it starts messing your tq converter up and then you will have to pull the tranny,had the same problem,and the shudder fixx stoped it.it's your clutches in your tq converter,the are getting hard and need conditioning.it will soften the clutches when you add it,it great stuff that actually works..I would do it asap.
Old March 7th, 2017, 5:01 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Originally Posted by hawkjr
that's also why you are only feeling it at high speeds,it is doing it while in overdrive.you can hit the brake just real quick when it's doing this.and it will stop...try and see.that's why you need to add it asap...good luck.let me know how it goes.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Thumper_ehhhhh
Oh im sure the 5.3/327 is different now just like the 5.7/350 is different now. They are just engines that have been improved on. For one the hp now from a stock barebone 5.3 and 5.7 which is standard in all trucks there is no upgrade from the factory other than motor size. Which has much more hp than a stock barebone 327 and 350 of yesteryear. Back then you could get a stage one / stage 2 upgrade for motors or what ever each car make called them.What im saying is the 5.3 is not a new motor its been around a very long time and only improved over the years same as the 5.7. Now the 6 liter is not as old its like a 360ci. I trust something that has been around alot longer and just improved apon. With only 84000 miles on your truck if you treat it well you should have it for a very long time.
the 6.0 or 365cu actually came out in the 50s. I rebuilt one in a 56 Cadillac sixty special last year. Amazing the differences from today.
Old August 18th, 2019, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default Miles on my 99 Chevy 1500 5.3l stock

Originally Posted by JK23112
We all know and love the venerable Chevrolet 'small block' V8 engine that has been under the hood of many different GM cars and trucks - as well as being offered in various displacements from 265 to 400 cubic inches throughout the past five decades.

The best-known and most-beloved has to be the "350" or 5.7-liter version; especially with Chevrolet and GMC trucks. They are powerful, tough, reliable and it is relatively easy to "soup up" or increase their performance.

Now, at least with full-size Silverado & Sierra trucks, the times have changed and GM replaced the 5.7L with the newer 5.3L back in 2001 or so. I own a (purchased used) 2004 Silverado with the 5.3L and have about 84,000 miles on it. It runs strong, doesn't burn oil and has the low-end grunt for which the Chevy small block is famous.

The 5.7L and 5.3L are both OHV engines, two valves per cylinder and use timing chains rather than belts (Yes!). Aside from what appears to be a coil-on-plug (hence, the short wires), are there any other major differences? Are they still made with both two-bolt and four-bolt main blocks? Is it true they now are using aluminum cylinder heads rather than cast iron? Are they similar on the inside of the engine?

Does the 5.3L have the longevity of the venerable 5.7L? I have a friend with an '02 5.3L and he is approaching 150,000 miles with it - and with no engine trouble at all. Sounds like the old 350 to me!!

I take good care of my vehicles and use Mobil-1 synthetic oil; which I change every 3,000 to 3,500 miles whether it needs it or not. I also change the oil filter every time - and intend to do so as long as I have this truck.

Can I realistically expect 250k from my 2004 without an engine or tranny rebuild? I drive about 70 percent highway and 30 percent city and my engine has about 3,200 hours on it so far (again, I bought it used last February with 74,000 miles). I don't drive like an old man, but don't beat on it either.

I have had a "BG" fuel-injection service done, a DexCool radiator flush; as well as a "BG" transmission flush back at 76,000 miles. At 90k, it is going to get a power steering fluid flush done (again - last done at 40k) and the rear differential will be serviced. I am also considering new shock absorbers and a wheel alignment when I get the next set of tires installed. Once I hit 100k, I am going to have the sparkplugs replaced - as recommended by Mr. Goodwrench himself.

Anyone here have more than 150k on the 5.3L engine? Any problems? I have always been a "Ford" guy (hey, I admit it) and still love the Mustang and their Super Duty trucks - although they are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE; but I like my Chebby and plan on keeping it for a long time (since it will soon be paid off).

I appreciate any advice or input! Thank you so much!!

P.S. It is 2wd Silverado LS 1500, although it is shod with 4x4 rims (17-inchers) that a previous owner must have installed.

I have stock 99 1500 almost 300k just now getting a tick noise replaced tranny once not chevys fault though.!
Old August 18th, 2019, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default Difference

Originally Posted by JK23112
Wouldn't going from a 5.3L to a 5.7L be a step 'backwards' for you? The 5.3 is a more modern design, has the "coil on plug" ignition system (rather than distributor) and develops more power per cubic inch. I think there might be some internal engine design changes, but I am not sure about that.

Either way, though, it is still a small-block Chevy and both engines should serve you well. :-)
When I was in the marine trade I had to tow. My 94' Silverado had the 305. The difference was in the heads and I believe cam. The 350 made torque at higher rpms, the 305 at lower. Great for ramps. Kept it until 2018. Cheap to keep. Just maintain.
Old August 18th, 2019, 5:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

2007 Suburban 5.3L with 294,000 miles. Wife broke the forward sprag assembly in the trans at 202,000 miles while panic shifting from reverse to drive while still moving backwards then slammed on the gas. I rebuilt it and everything inside was well withing spec. I'd say 500,000 miles + on the 4L60e should be no problem with regular maintenance. It started eating lots of oil due to AFM but a couple cylinder soaks, afm shield and new valve cover mostly took care of that. Still burns some but nothing like before.
Old November 7th, 2019, 6:01 AM
CF Beginner

Default 4.9 crank5.7 block will that work sorry im new

Please help me.i got an old 302 chevy can i make a new version 4.9 crank 5.8 block will that work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3L versus 5.7L V8 "Vortec" Engines