Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:40 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

5.3L versus 5.7L V8 "Vortec" Engines

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2015, 10:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2000 Silverado with over 300,000 miles and the 5.3 is holding its own. It uses no oil between the 5000 miles oil changes. Its a daily driver looking to put 500,000 miles on it. It does have a light knock first thing in the morning for about 30 seconds to a minutes.
Old June 8th, 2015, 6:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99 Silverado 3 door with 5.3 that has just over 232,000 on it. It starts at -20 degrees here in MN with no problems. It's a 4 wheel drive with A/C. It also doesn't use, or leak, a drop of oil between changes. I use Amzoil 10W40 every 4000 miles or so and tranny does not slip.

My son and I drove it to Pensacola FL area last year with no problems. We averaged 15 mpg and didn't use a drop of oil on that trip either. I changed the oil and filter before we left and changed it again once we got back. We rented a trailer down there to bring back a 2008 Honda Silverwing scooter and it handled the enclosed trailer with no problem.

I have no complaints with this pickup. I paid about $3,000 for it about 4 years ago and don't regret it a bit. About the only thing wrong with it is a couple of exhaust manifold bolts being broken. One on each side. From inside the cab it almost sounds like lifter noise but it quiets down once it warms up and the parts expand from the heat.

Last edited by 99 Silverado 3 door; June 8th, 2015 at 6:51 AM.
Old June 8th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucas5.7
I have a 2010 Chev Silverado Z71 5.3l V8, well maintained on a regular basis at the dealership I got it from. 5 years later and now she leaks oil like a beached tanker and the Stabilitrak Service light is annoying as hell when there are no problems with the truck besides the now leaking oil which the dealership can not fix now after many shop visits. Apparently its "Engine Block Porosity" laymans terms, the engine shrunk over time.
Well, now I have a couple questions for Chevy Customer Service.

Do you, as the manufacturer's rep, concur with this dealership's

response to this customer's problem?

Is this to be the death knell for the Chevy High Mileage club?

Seems rather strange that 50 year old engines aren't shrinking,

yet this 5 year old Chevy engine is...

I have to wonder what Ford and Dodge would make of this

dealership claim. If I were LUCAS5.7, I would consider getting

this response to his problem in writing, and taking it to these other

manufacturers, IF this is the best Chevy can do...
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99 Silverado 3 door
I have a 99 Silverado 3 door with 5.3 that has just over 232,000 on it. It starts at -20 degrees here in MN with no problems. It's a 4 wheel drive with A/C. It also doesn't use, or leak, a drop of oil between changes. I use Amzoil 10W40 every 4000 miles or so and tranny does not slip.

My son and I drove it to Pensacola FL area last year with no problems. We averaged 15 mpg and didn't use a drop of oil on that trip either. I changed the oil and filter before we left and changed it again once we got back. We rented a trailer down there to bring back a 2008 Honda Silverwing scooter and it handled the enclosed trailer with no problem.

I have no complaints with this pickup. I paid about $3,000 for it about 4 years ago and don't regret it a bit. About the only thing wrong with it is a couple of exhaust manifold bolts being broken. One on each side. From inside the cab it almost sounds like lifter noise but it quiets down once it warms up and the parts expand from the heat.
Those broken exhaust bolts must be common because I have two on the passenger side and one on the driver side broken. They are holding go I'am not touching them.
Old August 13th, 2015, 3:26 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JK23112
We all know and love the venerable Chevrolet 'small block' V8 engine that has been under the hood of many different GM cars and trucks - as well as being offered in various displacements from 265 to 400 cubic inches throughout the past five decades.

The best-known and most-beloved has to be the "350" or 5.7-liter version; especially with Chevrolet and GMC trucks. They are powerful, tough, reliable and it is relatively easy to "soup up" or increase their performance.

Now, at least with full-size Silverado & Sierra trucks, the times have changed and GM replaced the 5.7L with the newer 5.3L back in 2001 or so. I own a (purchased used) 2004 Silverado with the 5.3L and have about 84,000 miles on it. It runs strong, doesn't burn oil and has the low-end grunt for which the Chevy small block is famous.

The 5.7L and 5.3L are both OHV engines, two valves per cylinder and use timing chains rather than belts (Yes!). Aside from what appears to be a coil-on-plug (hence, the short wires), are there any other major differences? Are they still made with both two-bolt and four-bolt main blocks? Is it true they now are using aluminum cylinder heads rather than cast iron? Are they similar on the inside of the engine?

Does the 5.3L have the longevity of the venerable 5.7L? I have a friend with an '02 5.3L and he is approaching 150,000 miles with it - and with no engine trouble at all. Sounds like the old 350 to me!!

I take good care of my vehicles and use Mobil-1 synthetic oil; which I change every 3,000 to 3,500 miles whether it needs it or not. I also change the oil filter every time - and intend to do so as long as I have this truck.

Can I realistically expect 250k from my 2004 without an engine or tranny rebuild? I drive about 70 percent highway and 30 percent city and my engine has about 3,200 hours on it so far (again, I bought it used last February with 74,000 miles). I don't drive like an old man, but don't beat on it either.

I have had a "BG" fuel-injection service done, a DexCool radiator flush; as well as a "BG" transmission flush back at 76,000 miles. At 90k, it is going to get a power steering fluid flush done (again - last done at 40k) and the rear differential will be serviced. I am also considering new shock absorbers and a wheel alignment when I get the next set of tires installed. Once I hit 100k, I am going to have the sparkplugs replaced - as recommended by Mr. Goodwrench himself.

Anyone here have more than 150k on the 5.3L engine? Any problems? I have always been a "Ford" guy (hey, I admit it) and still love the Mustang and their Super Duty trucks - although they are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE; but I like my Chebby and plan on keeping it for a long time (since it will soon be paid off).

I appreciate any advice or input! Thank you so much!!

P.S. It is 2wd Silverado LS 1500, although it is shod with 4x4 rims (17-inchers) that a previous owner must have installed.
I have a 01 z71 with 250XXX miles on it...change oil on average 5-8k miles run Pennzoil 5-30 dino juice haven't had to rebuild tranny at least one head is cracked due to mine having the notorious castech heads which they quit using in 03 04 or something like that I forget. I was getting coolant in oil by the time I figured out what was going on truck had run hot several times around 200XXX on advice from a coworker I purchased block sealant tablets from Chevy house for 6 bucks or so and have been running on it with zero problems for 2.5 years now the tranny will stutter once every year or so now but I wouldn't really call it a slip. Truck still runs strong and I would drive it to Bangladesh if it was possible. Lifters also make a hell of a racket in the winter on start up. The best mechanic I have ever known told me not to worry about it and looks like he was right since its still running strong 150k later. I also had a 97 with the 5.7 before this and I thought that was a good engine...the 5.3 is even better. The 5.3 has developed a slight miss in the last 6 months at 45-50 mph and I'm sure that's due to the fact that I'm still running orig plugs
Old August 13th, 2015, 3:41 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by stillgoingstrong
I have a 01 z71 with 250XXX miles on it...change oil on average 5-8k miles run Pennzoil 5-30 dino juice haven't had to rebuild tranny at least one head is cracked due to mine having the notorious castech heads which they quit using in 03 04 or something like that I forget. I was getting coolant in oil by the time I figured out what was going on truck had run hot several times around 200XXX on advice from a coworker I purchased block sealant tablets from Chevy house for 6 bucks or so and have been running on it with zero problems for 2.5 years now the tranny will stutter once every year or so now but I wouldn't really call it a slip. Truck still runs strong and I would drive it to Bangladesh if it was possible. Lifters also make a hell of a racket in the winter on start up. The best mechanic I have ever known told me not to worry about it and looks like he was right since its still running strong 150k later. I also had a 97 with the 5.7 before this and I thought that was a good engine...the 5.3 is even better. The 5.3 has developed a slight miss in the last 6 months at 45-50 mph and I'm sure that's due to the fact that I'm still running orig plugs
to the best of my knowledge. I did change the rad and the water pump out before I figured out that the heads were cracked. By the way I pulled the plug on the oil pan with truck cold and clear water ran out for a good while. The water was cooking out of the oil while driving. It was summertime and you get tired of buying coolant every other day hence the water. I ran this sucker for a year like that haha. I did actually used to change the oil @ 5k for the first 200 or so but now I find myself secretly wishing she would go down on me. I'm ready to try that 6 liter. Doesn't look like its going to happen tho. If you can get 250k out of a tranny w/o changing fluid or flushing why would you. Oh I replaced u joints also at 175 or so...just hit a deer in it 60 mph never got off the gas and it didn't mess anything up but the bumper/grille and busted on light. These trucks are as solid as they can be. If buying used make sure you don't get the castechs and you'll be good to go. Forgot to mention before I got the Kubota I was snatching stumps out of yard with it too 50k miles ago...I'm talking back up to stump and mashin on it trying to rip receiver hitch out of truck...didn't happen tho haha
Old August 13th, 2015, 3:52 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by stillgoingstrong
to the best of my knowledge. I also co fuel pump @ 210 or so and its possible I ran out if gas when it went out...only time it stuck me...bout 6 miles from the house...wife pulled me home...that was interesting haha.* I did change the rad and the water pump out before I figured out that the heads were cracked. By the way I pulled the plug on the oil pan with truck cold and clear water ran out for a good while. The water was cooking out of the oil while driving. It was summertime and you get tired of buying coolant every other day hence the water. I ran this sucker for a year like that haha. I did actually used to change the oil @ 5k for the first 200 or so but now I find myself secretly wishing she would go down on me. I'm ready to try that 6 liter. Doesn't look like its going to happen tho. If you can get 250k out of a tranny w/o changing fluid or flushing why would you. Oh I replaced u joints also at 175 or so...just hit a deer in it 60 mph never got off the gas and it didn't mess anything up but the bumper/grille and busted on light. These trucks are as solid as they can be. If buying used make sure you don't get the castechs and you'll be good to go. Forgot to mention before I got the Kubota I was snatching stumps out of yard with it too 50k miles ago...I'm talking back up to stump and mashin on it trying to rip receiver hitch out of truck...didn't happen tho haha
I'll keep ramblin that cousin of mine has an 08 and he hooked on to my boat last time we went fishing and it seemed like it was workin harder than my truck tryin to pull it...I am scared of the new Chevy gassers...next ones gonna be an 06 07 classic w 6.0 and I'm gonna see how bad i can treat that one after I pay it off and get tired of it. By the way I had an 08 f150 work truck that didn't want to start one day after sitting up for 2 weeks...what junk
Old August 14th, 2015, 6:01 PM
CF Junior Member

I have a 99 Silverado with the 5.3 V8 with 232,xxx on it. It starts at -20 degrees with no problems. It doesn't use any oil to speak of. Less than half a quart between oil changes. Doesn't leak anything either. It's rusting out a bit around the wheel wells but that's to be expected I guess. The only problem I have is in the cold weather I have to unlock the doors with the key. The relay doesn't want to work when really really cold.

This is what the old beast looks like today. It also handles the "new" 87 Skamper very well.
Old September 8th, 2015, 12:38 AM
CF Beginner

Well I have 256,000+ miles on mine and now it has developed a not in one of the lifters. Dang I was looking to hit 3000 before I needed a new motor.
Old October 19th, 2015, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default I own a 2001 Chevy Tahoe

I have the 5.3L v8 with 215,380 miles on it. No problems at all No check engine lights or anything. Still runs very strong like it hasn't broke 100,000 yet.

Quick Reply: 5.3L versus 5.7L V8 "Vortec" Engines