Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5.7 vortec no start

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2013, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 vortec no start

ready to take it to dealer just wanting to see if anyone else has any ideas

i do have 62 psi fuel with key on
i do have spark so that rules out crank shaft position sensor and cam sensor coil, ignition module.
did not have fire to my plugs changed cap and rotor and now i do have fire to my plugs.
oil pressure switch was changed 3 months ago with a BWD
Just changed my fuel filter a few days ago
plugs were changed a little over 6 months ago but i pulled two or 3 and they all look fine they have gas on them?
it back fires out of the throttle body. and when you turn the motor over its almost like the engine cranks till it binds up in a way kinda sits still for a moment then starts to crank again. can anyone help me. problem started when i started truck up the other morning drove 1/4 of a mile and it died and wouldn't start back. checked most of my grounds fuel related and i know i am getting fuel ie. spark plug is wet.
HELP PLEASE! about to sell this thing lol

Been replaced within the last 6 months
Fuel filter
air filter
oil pressure switch
reground the fuel injectors
distributor cap and button
spark plug wires
plugs are older than 6 months auto light coopers but look fine
coil
ignition module

there are no codes also i can poor gas in my throttle boddy and still no start.
Old May 9th, 2013, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

also its a 97 gmc Sierra 1500 extended cab with it being a 97 there is not a passlock security system on it they were put on in 98 any help will be awesome just need this thing to run.
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:46 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Sounds like a timing issue. Was anybody in there playing around with the distributor or anything else. Could be a problem with the timing chain as well.
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:55 AM
CF Senior Member

With it back firing and what not, sounds like you may have jumped time.
Old May 10th, 2013, 12:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the others, sounds like the timing got knocked way out of whack.
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

thanks guys i brought the number one cylinder up by bumping it today pulled my distributor and i am sitting on the peg for the number 7 cylinder do you think i could get it started good enough to run if i pull the distributor with number one cylinder up and reset it to number one then drop it back down or am i going to cause issues. i just need it to run good enough to move it from where its at to get it level to work on its on a slight hill. if i have jumped time do you think i have damaged anything. how big of a job is it on these vortecs changed them in the old carborated 350's but not these new ones i cant even see the timing chain cover.
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

also i know the chain is still in one piece cause while i had the cap off i had a buddy tap it over and i watch the rotor spin.
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

ok here is another question my distributor is loss and was loss do you think it could have come off the cam gear and then fell back in place or do you think my chain has jumped truck only has 148K on it its hard for my to believe the chain has jumped. i can line the crank up top dead center ie harmonic balancer is there any way to check to see if my cam position is correct without pulling the cover.
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:22 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

When you say the distributor was loose, do mean it was loose enough to raise up about an inch? That is the only way it could jump a tooth. What you might have to do is spin the distributor to get it back in time. Try turning the distributor to different spots and see if it will start.
Old May 11th, 2013, 1:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Coincedence. I put a battery in my Olds yesterday, wouldn't start, no spark or improper. Pulled the cap off, distributor was loose, out of time. Put a lockwasher under the hold down bolt head. Now if son would just bring back timing light. That thing had rolled counter clockwise 1 1/2". I rolled it back till it started.

Quick Reply: 5.7 vortec no start