Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

5.7 vortec no start

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2013, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

distributor is loose enough to easily turn with out any effort but its out so much turning it has no effect. if i were to bring crank to dead center and reset distributor to cylinder 1 and trying to start it then would it hurt anything. maybe chain and all is fine but the distributor just poped up and i can time it that way i am going to try that monday if ya'll think i won't have a problem sorry for the delayed response been working. thank you all for your help. will i chance destroying my valves if my cam is off and i start it or will it not start at all if that is the case.
Old May 13th, 2013, 3:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timing issue sounds good to me also, the chain could still be intack, but it might have "Jumped" a tooth or two (2).. IJS. which could be a loose timing chain
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

ok here is what i have timing chain jumped one tooth bought new chain and sprockets put it on brought crank and cam to 12 oclock and watch my rotor not move then bumped it over a few times and it still didn't move pull distributor and i had no gear left. bought a used one for 40 bucks and put my new cap and button on it. installed it with both cam and crank at 12 TDC line paint mark up with punch mark on the gear bottom and dropped it in and locked it down tight. timing cover was a bitch to put back on but its on there with plenty of rtv. thats where i stopped for the night but my question is my harmonic balancer didn't have a bolt in the middle of it is that normal on these vortec's also how in the world do you press that thing back on. can anyone help. if you see anything i did wrong please let me know. havent had first crank yet. button is pointing at the 8 mark there is a 8 and a 6 mark on this distributor and there not in the same spot so i let it fall where the paint mark and the punched mark was lined up and its pointing at 8 so i am rolling with it unless i did it wrong. any input would be awesome.
Old July 21st, 2021, 10:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Did that fix it

[did that fix it—-QUOTE=Curtis Mendl;248256]ok here is what i have timing chain jumped one tooth bought new chain and sprockets put it on brought crank and cam to 12 oclock and watch my rotor not move then bumped it over a few times and it still didn't move pull distributor and i had no gear left. bought a used one for 40 bucks and put my new cap and button on it. installed it with both cam and crank at 12 TDC line paint mark up with punch mark on the gear bottom and dropped it in and locked it down tight. timing cover was a bitch to put back on but its on there with plenty of rtv. thats where i stopped for the night but my question is my harmonic balancer didn't have a bolt in the middle of it is that normal on these vortec's also how in the world do you press that thing back on. can anyone help. if you see anything i did wrong please let me know. havent had first crank yet. button is pointing at the 8 mark there is a 8 and a 6 mark on this distributor and there not in the same spot so i let it fall where the paint mark and the punched mark was lined up and its pointing at 8 so i am rolling with it unless i did it wrong. any input would be awesome.[/QUOTE]
Old November 5th, 2022, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default 5.7 vortec won't start. Has fuel and spark.

I replaced the fuel pump, spider injectors, fuel pressure regulator, crankshaft position sensor, put 5 gallons of fresh gas in it and it still doesn't run. The spark plugs have gas on them. The Schrader valve on the fuel line spits gas. I have 60-65 psi for fuel pressure. I'm just lost and can't figure out why this thing won't run.

If I put gas in a bottle and bottle feed it slowly into the throttle body it will start and run with no issues. But the second the bottle goes away it dies after 3-5 seconds. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.