Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 11th, 2015, 1:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

6.5 diesel good or not?

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2007, 3:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 6.5 diesel good or not?

ORIGINAL: Mjd

My first piece of advice...................don't listen to a word that silveradotowpro said!!!! Seriously!!! Diesels do NOT use glow plugs for fuelignition(it is ingited by compression pressure), and most larger diesel engines do not even have glow plugs. They are used for heating the air in the engine so it will start more easily in cold weather. The Cummins (not CumminGs!!!) in the Dodge pickups has been overall the most reliable, long-lasting engine ever used in a pickup, with the only real rival maybe being the D-max(hasn't been around long enough to make a fair comparison). The 7.3 Powerstroke is a pretty good engine. The 6.5 Chevy is something to stay away from. If you are in college and you want something reliable, the 6.5 is NOT the ticket. Glow plugs are a problem, which makes it a pain in cold weather. Also, the newer engines have an electronic injector pump, which has been very problematic. Finally, the engines are not heavily built, and usually last no longer than their 350 or 454 gasser counterparts when used for heavy towing. If I were you, I would look for a Dodge with the 12 valve diesel, a 7.3 Powerstroke, or a D-max if you can afford it. Also, a Chevy with a 6.0 or 350 would be something to look at.

Wow, I didn't realize how old this post is. I hope someone can use this information!!!
+1

7.3 Powerstroke, Duramax, and Cummins Diesels are all very good engines. The tranny's are something I would look into as well.
Old January 4th, 2007, 1:49 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 6.5 diesel good or not?

Mjd Sliveradotowpro didn't say that glowplugs are used to ignite to fuel. And if you really want to go there for cold starts they are because they heat the air so the fuel will ignite easier. I also know that a lot of people have had problems with the trannies in the Dodges, and injector pumps too. If you care to argure that I have researched it because my dad owns one that the tranny has gone out on twice. I work with 6.5's everyday, and if they are keep up they do run good. The powerstroke 7.4 wouldn't be bad either. If you want chevy with a lot of power or easily upgradable power I would go with a Duramax. You may be supprised what your gas mileage difference will be between a v-10 and a desil too. I would suggest a desiel.