Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

85 c10 ignition switch replaced still won't start

Old November 14th, 2014, 6:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 c10 ignition switch replaced still won't start

I have an 85 c10 pickup and I decided to replace the ignition switch because I would have to crank the steering wheel to get it to turn over and start. I replaced the switch and got everything back together and now nothing happens. The idiot lights come on and I can here a clicking from the starter but it won't crank. Also once the key is in the on position and I put on the break the truck won't shift out of park. I have the idea that its the neutral safety switch but I'm not sure and I'm kind of doing this blind at this point. I also have another question... theres the ignition rod on the column which goes to the switch and when the key is turn that's moving smoothly but there's another rod that goes to a white cylinder just to the left of the switch and that doesn't move when I turn the key... is it suppose to? and if so what is that white cylinder and what could be some reasons that its not engaging? I can't find anything online and my manual is very vague. Please help.
Old November 14th, 2014, 9:45 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the starter is clicking, the problem is under the hood.

Allan
Old November 16th, 2014, 6:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem was that the starter wasn't set back far enough on the column to engage the spring within the switch. I didn't even know there was a spring in the switch and out of all the people I asked for advice none of them mentioned it... I knew that the switch is moved from the lock to unlock position by the ignition rod but nowhere does it say anything about a spring.... WTF?

Side note:

Thank you for your response Allan, I appreciate you taking the time.