Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

85 k10 Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2015, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 k10 Electrical problem

Hi All. So, ill cut right to it. Truck was running and driving fine, no issues other than a running light short that i have yet to track down. (Fuse blows as soon as the headlights are switched on). Drove it down the street to put gas in it and when i went to restart it, it had no power to anything. No headlights, no radio, turning the ignition did/does nothing. Had to tow it home. Battery tests good at 12 volts and I have 12 volts at the 4 big red wires going into the back side of fuse box. Traced all the wires that wrap over and around the back side of the motor from the fuse box to the starter, only thing i found was a rubbed bare oil pressure sensor wire. From what i can tell, power is somehow not making through the fuse box. (Yes, I've checked the fuses). I applied power directly into the fuse port for the rear brakes and hit the pedal and they lit up. First thought was new fuse box, as the harness plug connection on the back has certainly seen better days. Plastic is a bit melted around the connections. But i don't see how every connection could have crapped out all at once. Is there a master fuse on these things? I've done a bit of searching and the fusible links come up as the culprit in most of the scenarios I've read. But it doesn't seem the case here since i have power at the back side of the box. Is it possible to have 12v and still have a bad link? I've not as savvy with the electrical side of things as i'd like. Any and all help here is appreciated. I'm out of ideas and patience.
Old March 29th, 2015, 4:37 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the fuse links at the starter main terminal.

Allan