Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

88 Silverado running rough!

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2011, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

swapped it out tonight. Drove better. Will get to test it better on the weekend. Thanks and I will post on how it is doing.
Old October 21st, 2011, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

Was able to take the boys to school this morning. Drove the truck and boy did it do a lot better. Still stalls every once in a while. When putting it into drive and when stopping to back into my drive. I think the timing may be off enough to cause this. I will double check the timing this weekend. Thanks for the quick help. After taking it to several shops and still not getting it fixed it amazes me that someone in another state can diagnose the issue without looking at the vehicle. You guys saved me money and time. Thanks again!!
Old October 21st, 2011, 8:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

glad it's running better. glad we could help. check timing for sure, may also consider fuel filter, and air filter change if it's been awhile. check pcv valve as well, and check for vacuum leaks. even small, minor leaks can have a huge affect.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by maxxman04
glad it's running better. glad we could help. check timing for sure, may also consider fuel filter, and air filter change if it's been awhile. check pcv valve as well, and check for vacuum leaks. even small, minor leaks can have a huge affect.

With the exception of the fuel filter, all the others were replaced when the engine went in this year. I just now have 3,000 miles on the new motor so they should be good to go. New motor in Feb. so you can see I don't get to drive it much.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 8:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

fuel filter is a huge part in fuel delivery. seen them dang things stop a car in its tracks, seen them drive owners crazy trying to figure out why their car just isn't as responsive as it used to be.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 3:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

or a wack throttle position sensor?
Old October 23rd, 2011, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Reset the timing on her today. Still not running as smooth as I think she should. I was low on gas. OK almost out of gas so I filled it back up with premium to see if that will help. I wish I could find a local station close that sold pure gas with no ethanol at a decent price. anyhow I will run it for a little while to see how she performs. I know there is still something amiss cause there is a high pitch whining when I start it up for the first 10 min or so then that goes away and she start running a bit better. You cant here the sound from out of the cab so this is going to be a fun one to find. I might have to start with the fuel pump even though it isn't that old and go from there. time I get done with her she will be brand new!!LOL She is paid for so I don't mind so much!!
Old October 25th, 2011, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Ok so it is starting a bit better now. Still not 100 % right. I guess the main issue right now is when sitting in line at idle speed it is now idling so low that the engine is stumbling over itself. Could this still be related to the IAC valve and needing to take the TBI off to clean better or is there a way to bump the idle speed up just a tad bit. I don't see a way to move the throttle up like on the old carbs. The set screw has no adjustment to it from what I can see. Or am I missing something.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

well I have now replaced the MAP sensor as well. This seems to have corrected a good bit of the issues. I can still tell there is something amiss on it. When I put it in reverse half the time it cuts off. Whatever it is now has got to be small. I can't think of anything else to change out except for the Fuel pressure regulator and the TB. It still has a small skip in it every once in a while. I am going to change the plugs and wires again to see if one of them is to blame for the small skip now that the Map sensor seems to have fixed the biggest majority of the issues.
Old January 5th, 2012, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

Ok so I checked the codes on the truck and the only code that is showing is 44. According to my Haynes book that is a Lean Exhaust code. Says to check the O2 sensor which is new and then check the fuel pressure which I have no way of doing. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: 88 Silverado running rough!