Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

90 Chevy Silverado Cd player install!HELP!

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2010, 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Chevy Silverado Cd player install!HELP!

Ok i recently just got a 1990 Chevy Silverado 1500 series 4x4 so i took the Factory Cassette player out to put my Cd player in it..I got the Aftermarket plug connector for my cd player for this Truck but after i unplugged the factory player where the hell do i plug the Cd player into..where the hell is the connector at for my head unit to plug into?please help..PICTURES would be more helpful but a general location would be GREAT!!..

Also does anyone know where i can get a download pdf manual of my truck..thanks..Yous will be seeing alot more of me!
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the connector is behind the factory radio. you have to pull that out to get to the harness.
Old March 7th, 2010, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on MADDmax04... You have to pull the radio to get to all the wires. Chevy had a weird set up back then. You could wire your aftermarket radio a lil differently. In my 89 My stock radio still worked, just didn't have the speakers... I had the most bada$$ system you could possibly get in that thing. Granted it was installed in 93...
Old March 8th, 2010, 5:52 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mrnapolean1
my 92 gmc had a cdi switchbox setup. your main wires plug into a cdi switchbox (box that switches between the radio and the cassette/cd player).

i couldnt find any pictures but i drew up a diagram on how mine was set up:

the Main Harness is what you need. its like 2 or 3 plugs plugged together. the main harness is what leads to your speakers and it also powers your radio. i found my CDI box mounted to the firewall near the accelerator pedal.

thanks for the Help/Advice Everyone but i found...What a Weird setup Chevy Has (my first Chevy)everything was tied into that Box as Stated above the Gas pedal then i had to run the Wires up to the dash where the Cd player is..Weird but its working Good!..thanks Guys...
Old March 9th, 2010, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry to bring this back up...Ok but everything is hooked up and working good,.(the cd player) But now it seems that My Check Engine Light keeps coming on..It only comes on after about 5 mins of driving,Even if i shut my truck off and back on it wont come right on it's usualy about 5 mins..I went to advance auto but they dont have the older model Setup to test the Check engine lights on vechiles older then a 96..Could this Check engine light be just A minor Flaw,Could it have to do with the Cd player it seemed to have started The day the cd player was hooked up..