Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

'90 v6 4x4 std full-size push-starts but won't crank to a start

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2009, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '90 v6 4x4 std full-size push-starts but won't crank to a start

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum (I was searching the web to try and find an answer for my truck).
The problem is, my truck can be pulled till it starts, but it won't start when it's being cranked. My guess is that the starting requires to much volts for there to be enough left over for the (bad?) module? The problem was noticed one day when it failed to start. The guy had it towed home, then it started the next day. It began starting less and less frequently. I have it now,(due to a trade deal) and that's about when it wouldn't crank to a start any more. It still faultlessly kicks right up when it's pulled with another truck; but it's beginning to stall without notice. I would just test the module but I don't have any volts from the purple or white wires (from the ECM). another thing is that the TBIs don't operate when it's being cranked. My question is, can anybody tell me it's just the module or do I have to look into a new ECM. Also, let me know if you need more info on the truck. Thanks for any help.
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem with my '90 Silverado just yesterday. Engine died and would not start. TBI injectors were not firing while the motor was cranking. Changed out the ignition module and it started right up. Remember to put di-electric grease on the back side of the module before installing. My guess is the faulty module is not sending the signal to the ECM to allow the injectors to fire while cranking.