Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 C 1500 2x4 -> 4x4

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2010, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 95 C 1500 2x4 -> 4x4

I am new to the GM world, as those of you who read my first post know. I have a 95 c 1500 extended cab 5.7l stepside bed. I am deployed right now and have plenty of time to to dream up stuff to keep me busy when I get back. Since the reverse clutch is shot, I have started toying with the idea of doing a solid axel swap. I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info/first hand knowledge on whether or not it is possible.

-Some guys said it would be much easier to just find a donor truck with a blown engine and straight frame, and then just swap the body. While I suppose I can do that, I don't think i'll be lucky enough to find exactly what I need (extd cab + short bed, right year, ect).

-The other option is getting a SAS kit and procuring the front driveshaft, new transmission/transfer case, shorter rear driveshaft, ect. If I go this route won't I have to replace the rear axel to keep the ratios matching? Anything else i am forgeting?

I really appreciate all the help. Hopefully if I can get smart enough on all of this I can start looking for parts right before I head home. I'll also make it a point to document the adventure and post it up here.
Old December 16th, 2010, 7:21 PM
CF Junior Member

I think your best bet is to find a Z71 with a blown motor (or no motor) and swap your motor over to it. A 2WD to 4WD swap is doable but much more work than a straight motor swap IMO. I'm guessing I read your post correctly..

They're out there. Here's one in my area.
http://savannah.craigslist.org/cto/2091646207.html
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:59 PM
CF Active Member

itd be even easier if you sold your truck and just bought a 4x4......
Old December 29th, 2010, 4:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could put a solid axel in easy.. youll need thew axle..leaf springs t-case..front driveshaft and i'd say a 4x4 tranny.. maybe find a wrecked 4x4 and swap everything over if you want IFS..
Old December 30th, 2010, 2:50 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by gotstylez
you could put a solid axel in easy.. youll need thew axle..leaf springs t-case..front driveshaft and i'd say a 4x4 tranny.. maybe find a wrecked 4x4 and swap everything over if you want IFS..
but why do all that work when you can just sell your truck and buy one thats 4x4, because there is also alot of wiring involved that id never want to deal with
Old December 30th, 2010, 6:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IFS SUCKS! but thats just me..and i like to work on my stuff...
Old December 31st, 2010, 3:34 AM
CF Beginner

I know it will be way more work than its worth, but I kind like the challenge. We'll see; between my buddy and I we have the smarts to do it, but If I can get lucky enough to find a 4x4 with a blown motor I might jump on it.
Old January 1st, 2011, 3:54 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by apgambino
I know it will be way more work than its worth, but I kind like the challenge. We'll see; between my buddy and I we have the smarts to do it, but If I can get lucky enough to find a 4x4 with a blown motor I might jump on it.
i mean have you thought of everything youll have to do? switch out the front end, put a 4x4 tranny, put a transfer case, get the right cross member, get the right drive shaft, and not to mention the wirig would be a nightmare that might never work fully