Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

95 Chevy 2500 Only Blows Hot Air

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2009, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 95 Chevy 2500 Only Blows Hot Air

I have a 95 Chevy C2500 HD that is used about once every month for recreational use. In the past 4 years I have put about 5k miles on it. I headed out on a long weekend trip and went to turn the A/C on and all I got was hot air. I turned the A/C off and set the temp control to cold only and still only hot air. I checked under the hood to see if the A/C motor was engaging and it was. Both the recirc and A/C lights come on when selected. If I set the temp to hot the air does get hotter by a few dgrees. I checked all the obvious fuses under the hood and they all look good. In 2005 I had the A/C Control circuit replaced and "mode door" repaired. In 2006 an A/C peformance test and a/c recharge.
In 2008 the A/C System was again serviced and a new Receiver Drier installed. Any ideas ????
Old July 26th, 2009, 10:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Go and get it recharged. Freon probably leaked out. Letting a vehicle sit for long periods is not good for it....and I'm sure that driving less then 1,000 miles a year you're letting it sit up for several months at a time.

I wouldn't just go get a few cans of freon and throw it in....go to a shop the system properly evacuated, oiled, and recharged. Most quick lube places can do it for around 100 bucks if its R134. If you're still using R12, you will probably have to install a retrofit kit.
Old July 27th, 2009, 5:19 AM
CF Junior Member

x2 Couldn't say it better.
Old July 27th, 2009, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks for the advice

Thank you for the reply. I will give it a shot and let you know.
Old July 27th, 2009, 5:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Not a problem at all.

Just a word of the wise though, don't let your truck sit up for too long without running. Take it for a spin around the block every couple of weeks. And even though you may only go 1000 miles in a year, don't let your oil sit for that long. I would change it at least once a year because it breaks down as it just sits there....just like it would if you were running the truck.
Old July 28th, 2009, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default Still blowing hot

Took the truck to a local service facility and they put about 1.2 lbs of freon in. On checking it out the air was still hot no matter what the temp setting on the dash was at. I had them button it up because I was looking at at least 3 hours of diagnostics. Wanted to cut my losses as the facility was not a Chevy service center.

Any more ideas?
Old July 28th, 2009, 8:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Did they just throw freon in it, or PROPERLY charge the AC system. Like I said before, oil has to be in it as well.

I don't know the specs for your truck, but if just a little too much or too little is added, it will still blow hot. The first AC service I ever did, I put a tad too much freon into the car and it blew hot. I evacuated the system and did it over again with the right amount of freon and it worked great.

I'm almost 100% sure there is some sort of problem with the charge on your AC. The other option would be the temp selector on the dash being bad, but that isn't likely.