Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   96 Chevy 5.7 wont start, no spark, everything new! lol (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/96-chevy-5-7-wont-start-no-spark-everything-new-lol-33566/)

mdm6713 June 11th, 2010 7:13 PM

96 Chevy 5.7 wont start, no spark, everything new! lol

1996 c3500 No Spark, Wont Start chevy pickup 5.7 350 motor 4x2 4l80 Trans 266K Miles

Was running very rough but not stalling, gradually got worse and would begin to have problems accelerating and surge when you apply gas at times. I changed cap/rotor/plugs/fuel filter and it ran a lot stronger but still with a miss and surge. I changed all 4 oxygen sensors with AC Delco Parts. Started right up ran smooth, I hit the gas a couple times and it sounded worse than ever, then stalled. I started it again with difficulty and it did not run right but would barely idle, after about a min it cut out and wouldnt restart. It would crank over then sound like it was kicking back that created a nasty grinding sound...sounded like the flywheel/starter etc...I think the battery was a bit low at the time too. Due to the mileage I put a new Crankshaft Pos Sensor, Ignition Coil, and now ignition Module, and igntion hall sensor(pick up coil). No check engine light or codes. Te Dist. is spinning while starting. Whats left besides the PCM? Maybe im overlooking something? Any help would be appreciated. Michael

fredrich03 June 12th, 2010 6:45 AM

96 Chevy 5.7 wont start, no spark, everything new! lol

Did you check timing gears and timing chain? With over 200k on the clock, I would look there next.
Good Luck!

mdm6713 June 13th, 2010 9:23 AM

If the dist. is turning..and the crankshaft....doesnt that mean the timing chain is good?

Speedy650 June 13th, 2010 3:43 PM

timing could be off. check that.

LARIDERS June 13th, 2010 9:46 PM

Did you check the fuel pressure? if that is fine I would make sure that all the plug wires got put back in the right place.

Speedy650 June 14th, 2010 8:35 PM

good point. make sure you put the wires in the correct places on the cap. if you need help with what goes where it should be in the Manuel.

David Luttrell January 6th, 2021 4:53 PM

Trouble

Food you ever figure out what the problem was? I have the same issues

Originally Posted by mdm6713 (Post 147031)
1996 c3500 No Spark, Wont Start chevy pickup 5.7 350 motor 4x2 4l80 Trans 266K Miles

Was running very rough but not stalling, gradually got worse and would begin to have problems accelerating and surge when you apply gas at times. I changed cap/rotor/plugs/fuel filter and it ran a lot stronger but still with a miss and surge. I changed all 4 oxygen sensors with AC Delco Parts. Started right up ran smooth, I hit the gas a couple times and it sounded worse than ever, then stalled. I started it again with difficulty and it did not run right but would barely idle, after about a min it cut out and wouldnt restart. It would crank over then sound like it was kicking back that created a nasty grinding sound...sounded like the flywheel/starter etc...I think the battery was a bit low at the time too. Due to the mileage I put a new Crankshaft Pos Sensor, Ignition Coil, and now ignition Module, and igntion hall sensor(pick up coil). No check engine light or codes. Te Dist. is spinning while starting. Whats left besides the PCM? Maybe im overlooking something? Any help would be appreciated. Michael

reagen May 23rd, 2022 7:41 AM

did you find the problem Ron rgd1955@sbcglobal.net