Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

96 z71

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2009, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 z71

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and not exactly a mech myself. I was wondering if I could get some help for what I'm assuming are little common problems with these trucks.

The 4x4 does not engage anymore.
The auto trans isn't shifting well and I can't exactly floor it anymore.
I hear a weird grinding noise when i first start to accelerate out of my driveway.
The truck pulses and shakes the when I use the brakes.
The power locks no longer work with the key fob anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old May 29th, 2009, 8:57 AM
CF Active Member

Your key fob more than likely needs a new battery. There should be a testing module at your local auto parts store; I've only seen one in Advance Auto Parts, however. To replace your key fob battery, take a coin and insert it into the small indentation and turn; the top and bottom should seperate. It shouldn't take any forcing.

As for your other problems, I'm not exactly a mechanic either, haha.
Old May 29th, 2009, 9:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrummerBoy

The truck pulses and shakes the when I use the brakes.
This is due to non-flat or warped rotors and/or drums. Jack it up and sit it on jack stands. Pull all four wheels, then both rear drums and both front rotors. Take them to a machine shop and have them turned. Check out your pads and shoes as this is the perfect time to replace them. Most people don't do it, but rotors and drums should be turned each time shoes and pads are replaced.

This will cure that issue.
Old May 29th, 2009, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Blindsight
Your key fob more than likely needs a new battery. There should be a testing module at your local auto parts store; I've only seen one in Advance Auto Parts, however. To replace your key fob battery, take a coin and insert it into the small indentation and turn; the top and bottom should seperate. It shouldn't take any forcing.

As for your other problems, I'm not exactly a mechanic either, haha.

I'm not sure if it's just the battery in the fob because I still hear a small noise like it gets the signal and the locks move ever so slightly. So I think they're still getting the signal, but it's just not moving.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Donj't tell me let me guess, the 4X4 shifter is pushbutton?(Yeah, how did I know.)

My guess from the description of symptoms is it hasn't been driven in a while, and when it was it was abused. Many drivers take a designation such as "SUV", "4X4", or "Z-71" as license to beat the crap out of a vehicle, drive it places a sensible person wouldn't take a tank, and to just never, ever do maintenance.

I'd start with a complete oil change and filter change, both for the engine, AND the transmission. Then a complete tune up and filter change out.

Once the playing field is leveled, then you can start troubleshooting further problems on a 1X1 basis.

BTW, mygreenihc sounds absolutely correct about the brakes, IMO.

Upside is, when you're done, it's a hell of a truck.

Old May 29th, 2009, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, it is a push button. Good call. Haha. I just changed the oil and added some trans fluid about a week ago. This truck has actually been babied since it came off the line. It was my brother-in-law's dad's truck before I had it. I've had it about 6 or 7 months now. It probably is overdue for a complete tune up and filter change. Granted this is my first truck and the first time I've had a truck more than 6 months. (I'm 18, for the record.) And being 18 and having a part time job at the local Kmart, I have roughly 50 dollars to my name on a good bi-weekly basis.