Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

97 silverado blower motor or resistor?

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 97 silverado blower motor or resistor?

New to the forum

first thread and im already bothering you guys lol

I have a 1997 silverado that blows cold AC but very little air comes out the vents. Ive been reading around several forums and saw how some people simply cleaned their evaporator core and that fixed the issue. I did that yesterday and the air flow increased a little, but not as much as i would like.

Could it be the blower motor? or the resitor? Only reason i dont think its the resisitor is because all the speeds work and i can hear the motor get louder with every speed.

When i took out the blower motor to clean the evaporator core, i noticed it is the factory motor and it makes a kind of squeaking sound when its on..

Any tips before i go spend $50 on a new one?
Old May 23rd, 2013, 8:06 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

If you can hear your blower motor change pitch with every speed than your resister and blower motor are fine, uness the cage on the blower motor is slipping. How did you clean your evaporator? have you checked to make sure all the plumbing is attached and not fallen off?
Old May 23rd, 2013, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

To clean it I just removed the blower motor and reached inside as best as i could and sprayed it with a cleaning solution and rinsed it lightly with a water hose. I repeated this about 3-4 times...
It was obvious that someone had been under the dash before because some screws that hold the dash are missing.. Perhaps the previous owner tried fixing this problem

What plumbing are you talking about?

Something else worth mentioning, today while driving with the AC on all of a sudden the air stopped coming out the vents but the blower motor was still on... I tried switching to the floor vents and back to the top but that didnt work.. Then i turned the AC off and turned it back on and the air started coming out the vents again...