Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

97 Z71 starts everytime stalls while driving

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2012, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Z71 starts everytime stalls while driving

Well I figured a few things. In addition to all the parts I have replaced I installed new ground strap from block to frame also filler neck to frame and pump to frame. Now the truck starts every time and has 63 lbs press. at start up and maintains 57 after start. But I still have problem of stalling after warm and driving. Engine just cuts off occasionally after normal driving while maintaining steady speeds over 45 mph.
Old March 5th, 2012, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

Here is a list of other parts I replaced so far. Delphi Fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel relay, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, air filter, ignition control module, crank sensor, coil, coolant sensor, cats and oxygen sensors.
Old March 6th, 2012, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Unhappy Still looking for an answer

I was told try camshaft sensor next by a mechanic i'm running out of things to replace. Has anyone had an experience with cam sensor going bad.
The problem again is the engine shuts off like running out of gas after reaching normal operating temperatures while driving over 45 mph.
It has no backfiring, loss of power and does not run rough.
<label for="rb_iconid_9"></label>
Old March 7th, 2012, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default Looking for a miracle

Add camshaft sensor to the list of parts that have not corrected the stalling problem.
Delphi Fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel relay, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, air filter, ignition control module, crank sensor, coil, coolant sensor, cats and oxygen sensors, ground straps frame to block, fuel pump to frame. Thoroughly checked wiring at all sensors and connectors for cracks where wire could short. What's left?
Old March 8th, 2012, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Man I would have thought being a Chevy forum with so many viewers at least one person would have responded. Damnnnnn
Old March 8th, 2012, 8:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When exactly does it stall?
At a stop, slowing down, accelerating, cruising?

Does it instantly cut out? Feel like its running out of gas?

Does it instantly start up after it stalls?

How long does it run before stalling?
Old March 8th, 2012, 9:27 PM
CF Active Member

check vacum lines. they will cause stalling even with a warm motor. however your still going to want to awnser Mille Racer 69 he might have some other ideas but vac. lines are easy to check and are a logical cheaper place to investigate
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for responding guys. Nice pics. My truck cuts off like running out of gas after engine reaches operating temperature, while driving. It generally happens when I am going over 35 mph and 1500 rpm for at least a ten minute clip such as on the highway. After it stalls I need to wait at least a minute before trying to restart. Or else it just turns over without starting. Since I added all these parts it starts back up every time. Then the cycle starts all over again ten minutes of steady driving then stall. If i just putt along 35 mph and under is doesn't stall. Does exhaust pressure have any symptoms other than noisy. The gasket keeps blowing out after my cat. conv. .
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't recall anyone having trouble with a camshaft sensor, but all these things are
imperfect parts made by imperfect people.
on the top of my head I think maybe a clogged fuel filter or air filter.
clogged catalytic converter, maybe the fuel lines are swelling up. idk.

screw it, try the cam sensor.
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

did you check all the wiring and connecters when you did the fuel pump? burned terminals are fairly common on pump failures, also new doesn't always mean good I'd leave your fuel pressure gauge hooked up and take it for a drive.

I'm assuming theres no codes or lights on the dash?

Quick Reply: 97 Z71 starts everytime stalls while driving