Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

98 C1500 - spot for second battery

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2014, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 C1500 - spot for second battery

Hi, I'm pretty new to the Silverado world, so I'm sure I'll be posting plenty of newbie questions in the near future. First one: I see there's a spot for a second battery. Is this something an every day driver would need, or is it more for hauling trailers and other powered accessories?
Old April 9th, 2014, 4:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

My 2013 also has a second battery tray. You do not need this for normal everyday driving.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

this has nothing to do with your truck. But, way back in the day, my Dad had a wrecking yard (JunkYard) when I was a kid. A man drove up, he had a 1957 Chrysler Imperial. It had a 392 Hemi in it. It had 2 generators and 2 batteries and I think 2- 4bbl carburetors. and I never send another one.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 6:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by squierjosh
Hi, I'm pretty new to the Silverado world, so I'm sure I'll be posting plenty of newbie questions in the near future. First one: I see there's a spot for a second battery. Is this something an every day driver would need, or is it more for hauling trailers and other powered accessories?

The reason your truck has a place for a second battery is because of the diesel engine option for the Chevy & GMC HD series. The trucks equipped with the 6.2, 6.5 and 6.6 (Duramax) diesel engines all require two batteries instead of one. This is because of the glow plugs and high cold-cranking amperage required to wake up those engines on cold mornings.

It is easier for Chevy to make all trucks the same way and only install the second battery in the oil-burners.
Old December 24th, 2022, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by squierjosh
I know it's a bit late by many years but the second battery tray would be for the diesel model. Most diesels got 2 batterys. Although not necessary you can put in another battery great if your running alot of accessories or like a high powered sound system.
Old December 26th, 2022, 9:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Duel battery option was available on gassers also. On some had a isolation set up, I mostly see it on trucks with snow plows or nave a need for aux 12V power. Example: utility truck, Winches, Etc. Like the others have said, It's not necessary on all vehicles unless there is a need.