Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

98 Silverado Z71 upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2009, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Silverado Z71 upgrade questions

i have a 98 silverado Z71 4x4 with a 5.7L 350, right now the only performance upgrades i have is a K&N air intake kit and true dual flowmaster exhaust with an X pipe, questions are...

1: i want to put a lift on it, start off with a 6 inch suspension lift, whats the best 6 inch suspension lift kit out there, also i don't want lift blocks for the rear lift, i want to have the rear lifted with replacement leaf springs, is this Skyjacker lift good especially for the price? http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/Add-Kit.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=5491&t_pl=3744&t_pn=SKY C4636KS-N

2: also i want the biggest and widest tires on the truck that will fit without major rubbing, i know it will be some rubbing but what would be the biggest size tires i could put on without rubbing when off roading and mudding, i want 35 inch tires but was wondering maybe whats the widest i could fit in there, also the widest rims, i want mickey thompson classic lock rims, wouldn't get no bigger than 18s but whats the widest i could get if i got 18s

3: i want to turn the 350 into a 383 stroker, whats the best kit for that, and also i know you have to machine the bottom of the cylinder walls a little to clear the piston rods, just mashine like a notch just enough for the piston rod but im wondering if any other maching is necessary like boring it out any or anything like that, other than maybe smoothing the top of the block where the heads bolt on if its not flat

4: after i do the 383 stroker and break in the internals would it be a good idea to get a Procharger Supercharger, it comes with an intercooler and only has 8-9 lbs of boost

5: after i lift it and have 35 inch tires i know the 3.73 gears would be alright but would it be a good idea to change them to 4.10s, if i do what would be the advantages and disadvantages, main reason i want to change the 3.73s to 4.10s is because i want to eventually put a bigger lift on it

Last edited by SouthernGuy8503; August 8th, 2009 at 6:34 PM.
Old August 8th, 2009, 9:49 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) I would look into getting this lift http://www.extremesuspensions.com/st...cat=259&page=1 I have heard nothing but good things about it and alot of people recommend it and then just find some rear leaf spring and you would be in it for less than 2000.

2) you could probably run an 18x10 with 35x13.50 maybe wider.

5) If you plan on running bigger than 35's i would go with 4.88s

where in NC are you I am in greenville
Old August 9th, 2009, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know i don't specifically need a kit with rear leaf springs as aprt of the kit but i just don't like the idea of using stock spring and just putting blocks between the springs and axle, so if the kit don't have the springs its not a big deal but i figure its good to have all the suspension parts from the same company at least, not a big deal if its different though i just don't want lift blocks, rather want replacement springs for the lift in the rear, i also saw a 16 inch lift for my truck, i had an evil look in my eyes when i saw it lol just can't remember what the name is, i just want to do a 6 inch lift to begin with and then once i get a 2nd truck as a daily driver (going to get a silverado 2500HD crew cab duramax diesel) then i'll make my 98 bigger, the 98 is paid for and im keeping that truck til the wheels fall off, but knowing me i'll fix it and keep it rolling lol

im in Roanoke Rapids, its right on I-95 and near the VA line, northeast of Raleigh