Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   ABS light please help (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/abs-light-please-help-21982/)

miiller April 20th, 2009 2:31 PM

ABS light please help

Hey guys. I have an 04 z71 with 80,000 on it and i have been hearing some noise coming from the front end, mainly when I turn right it squeaked a little like the breaks needed replaced (checked them and they dont). Just today the ABS light came on. What can I do to fix this? Thanks

suzuki-guy April 20th, 2009 5:03 PM

hub assembly is bad i recommend replacing both your abs is tied in there and it is all an asssembly. im sure especially if it is consistent with turns.

ukrkoz April 20th, 2009 8:28 PM

pull ABS sensors out and clean them well. known to rust and cause light come up.

99vulcan750 April 20th, 2009 8:28 PM

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy (Post 92329)
hub assembly is bad i recommend replacing both your abs is tied in there and it is all an assembly. im sure especially if it is consistent with turns.

I got similar problem wit my 98 k1500. what's the price tag for a hub replacement?

suzuki-guy April 20th, 2009 8:33 PM

i bought one off ebay with a liftime for 100 bucks but at an auto parts store about 250 and that might take care of the light(probably not) but not the noise when he turns

miiller April 26th, 2009 10:05 PM

Ok ill try the cleaning the sensors. The more I drive my truck the worse it gets. Found out that the noise is only coming from the driver side front wheel and it only happens when I turn right. Kinda sounds like a bearing that needs greased. Like a loud squeak.

ukrkoz April 26th, 2009 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by miiller (Post 93229)
Ok ill try the cleaning the sensors. The more I drive my truck the worse it gets. Found out that the noise is only coming from the driver side front wheel and it only happens when I turn right. Kinda sounds like a bearing that needs greased. Like a loud squeak.

1. suspend that side up in the air. even better, suspend both wheels up in the air safely, which means - jack stands.
2. grab tire at 6 and 12, bounce vigorously back and for. if you have any play, it's your hub bearing. donno about 98, on 2000 hub is $175 warranted from Schucks, and about 10 minutes job.
3. turn wheels this way or that way. can you duplicate the squeak? does it make noise only under load? if you have 2 WD model, it is likely your ball joint. if you have 4x4, it might be your driveaxle. also, tierod ends can make that noise. silly as it sounds, soak tierod ends and ball joint in water, on the knuckles, and see if noise goes away. also, try greasing ball joint and tierod end with grease gun via zerts.
you can always spend $200 on a hub later, if this worked.