Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Advice on installing an audio setup in a '07 Silverado Extended Cab? Parts guide?

Old October 19th, 2010, 11:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on installing an audio setup in a '07 Silverado Extended Cab? Parts guide?

Hey, I'm installing a stereo in a Chevy Silverado '07 Extended Cab for the first time.

Are there any good audio installation guides for installing setups in general?

And are there also any disassembly guides for silverados? The part I'm most worried about is getting the actual car apart.

Do you have any advice or links for a first timer?

Experience: Electrical Engineer major. First car installation.
Parts:
500W Amplifier
2x 6.5 240W Speaker
2x 10" RMS Single Loaded Sub
Antenna Adapter
Chevy Deck Converter
KDHDR60 JVC Single Deck Stereo
Deck Hookup Kit
Amp Power Kit

Thanks!! Looking forward to the new setup!
Old October 21st, 2010, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

bump!
Old October 21st, 2010, 4:17 AM
CF Beginner

Just real quick. Stupid question, but just want to confirm.

Can anyone tell me the order Im supposed to hook everything up with? Is everything supposed to connect to the amp, or is only the subwoofer supposed to connect to the amp.

I was thinking it was either like this:
Head Unit->Amp->(Sub)&(Front Speakers)&(Rear Speakers)
http://zenn.tripod.com/jazz/system.gif

Or Like this:
Head Unit->(Front Speakers)&((Amp)->(Subwoofer)&(Rear Speakers)
http://www.nax.com.au/main/GraphicsFAQ/Layout4.PNG

The Deck has: Sub Out (Left and Right), Front Line Out (Left and Right).
The Amp has: Audio In (Left and Right), Speaker Out (Left and Right)

Thanks! Once I get the order setup and figure out how to remove the deck, I should be good!
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Hey, I forgot to mention.

The amp is a MRP-M500. Mono Power Amplifier with a channel 1 (left) and channel 2 (right) input in the back.
Old October 21st, 2010, 8:29 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sub woofer is the only thing hooked to a 2 channel amp. The head unit should run all the other speakers
Old October 22nd, 2010, 3:55 AM
CF Beginner

wow thanks. Sorry if this is long, just wanted to verify some things. i googled what you said, and learned a bit more how the amp works. thanks.

i got the door and deck off earlier today but it got dark, so i stopped. ill finish it tomorrow.

I have pictures of the parts im unsure of. mainly from my amp power kit and something called a stereo replacement interface. i REALLY wish there was someone near me that could do this, but sadly i live in an isolated area. anywho, let me see if i got this right. Correct me if im wrong if you dont mind.

http://crewxp.com/truck/IMG_0068.JPG

^Above is a picture of my amp kit. The blue wire looks like the wire I run to my battery from my amp. I'll most likely have to find the 'firewall' on the truck and drill a small hole, making sure i dont drill through the wrong spot. then hook it up. the clear wire looks like the remote wire? I run that from my deck to amp. The Black Kicker box goes in my hood somewhere, near the battery.

http://crewxp.com/truck/IMG_0069.JPG

^Above is the stereo replacement kit they gave me. Not sure what to do with this. My guess is that if something doesnt git behind the deck, use the connectors to convert it? There looks like a box with a speaker on it as well. weird.

http://crewxp.com/truck/IMG_0076.JPG

^Above is just for reference. Its the back of my deck. Not sure which one is the 'remote' though. Speakers hookup in the 16 pinned one. Sub in the sub out, nothing in the front line out. then hook whatever wires were hooked up in the factory deck into this one.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

Okay. I got everything almost installed. The only thing I have left to do is hookup the receiver, run the RCA cable to the amp, then run the RCA cable from the amp to the two subs.

I have a quick question though. Each sub has a left and right input. So thats four total RCA inputs (2 left and 2 right). The Receiver only has a left out and right out to the sub (Red and white). How do you suggest I hook them up?

is it okay to only use the left of the left subwoofer, and the right of the right sub? Or should I split them all.
Old October 24th, 2010, 8:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey crew, on the back of the deck there should be a red and white input that says sub. run a set of rca cables from the sub output to the amp input. typically you'll use speaker wire that came with the amp kit. two ways you can hook up your subs. one way is to run one positive and one negative from each sub to one positive and one negative one the back of the amp. or you can tie in both positive leads from the subs to one positive on the amp and tie in the negatives from the subs together and connect it to one negative on the amp. the rca enables you to control the amp settings through your deck i.e. sub level, different pitch levels, high pass filter on/off. etc. the blue wire with a white stripe should be on your wire harness and it should say remote on it. the blue wire that came with your amp kit ties to that blue/white stripe wire and runs to the REM on your amp. any other questions fire away.
Old October 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Ill try clipping the old tweeters off today to try and cure the popping. hope it works.

For the subs, your post gave me an idea how to do it.

But someone told me my setup might actually not work. That the amp is too powerful for the subs. If I hook the subs in parallel, they said that would put a 2 ohm load which would make the amp put out 500w RMS, the subs are only rated 300w total RMS together. So is it okay to still wire it like that? Or should I hook the subs together in series?

thanks as always!
Old October 24th, 2010, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

okay, having the car's popping issue looked at by a friend. then when i get it back in a few hours, going to try and hookup the amp and sub. hopefully no issues.

do you think there will be a issue of power difference bc my amp is 500w (or 300w i think in4ohms?), and my subs are 300 (150) RMS?

I wonder how I should wire it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on installing an audio setup in a '07 Silverado Extended Cab? Parts guide?