Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Am I askin for trouble by dropping rusty driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2012, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I askin for trouble by dropping rusty driveshaft?

Hi

I am thinking about disconnecting one end of my driveshaft to get it out of the way to get access to a connector. Am I asking for problems because the driveshaft has heavy rust on it? I see 4 bolts to disconnect it. Is the ujoint going to fall apart if I do this? The driveshaft and ujoint work fine but dropping ti will allow me to get both hands up above the transmission.

Thank you
Old December 18th, 2012, 3:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by st francis
Hi

I am thinking about disconnecting one end of my driveshaft to get it out of the way to get access to a connector. Am I asking for problems because the driveshaft has heavy rust on it? I see 4 bolts to disconnect it. Is the ujoint going to fall apart if I do this? The driveshaft and ujoint work fine but dropping ti will allow me to get both hands up above the transmission.

Thank you
If it's that bad, you better not be driving it. These things usually appear to have heavy rust, but in all my years never seen one fall apart. If you pop the u bolts loose, and drop the back end can you get to the O2 sensor connector? If not, pull the whole thing is MY suggestion. You need to mark it if you pull it.
Old December 18th, 2012, 5:02 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Is the ujoint going to fall apart if I do this? sometimes the end caps of the U-joint can come apart and all the needle bearings fall out.. yes it can happen. Depending on the miles you have on them it might be a good time to replace it while you are there...
Otherwise use tape to keep the joint together while you drop the one end of the shaft...
Also keep in mind the drive shaft is keeping the vehicle from rolling away! Once disconnected the rear wheels are free to roll without the tranny locking them... use your e-brake AND chock the wheels on both sides of the tire....
Old December 18th, 2012, 5:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Is the ujoint going to fall apart if I do this? sometimes the end caps of the U-joint can come apart and all the needle bearings fall out.. yes it can happen. Depending on the miles you have on them it might be a good time to replace it while you are there...
Otherwise use tape to keep the joint together while you drop the one end of the shaft...
Also keep in mind the drive shaft is keeping the vehicle from rolling away! Once disconnected the rear wheels are free to roll without the tranny locking them... use your e-brake AND chock the wheels on both sides of the tire....
I posted with an assumption, and that was my fault regarding the OP question. If you plan on keeping the car, replace the U joints is a good idea. I'd also suggest replace with ones that can be greased.
Old December 19th, 2012, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank all of you for your responses. You guys are great.

I do plan on keeping it a long time

Take care