Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Awful Squealing from Compressor!!

Old January 24th, 2007, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awful Squealing from Compressor!!

Hello,
I have a new body style 1999 Z71. Last week, when I turned on the defrost, when the compressor kicks in...it makes the loudest shreak you have ever heard! I don't know if moisture has played a problem...but it started doing it after a week straight of rain here in Central Ohio. Any suggestions? Should I try to spray the face of the compressor with lube to try and see it it wil help?
Thanks
Jason
Old January 25th, 2007, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Awful Squealing from Compressor!!

this makes since, two guys here at work asked my how many miles I had on the Belt...I have put at least 50,000 on it...but it may be OEM with the total of 120,000...they said that's probably the problem...it is sqwealing when the load gets on it from the compressor clutch engaging. I will try that remedy first

Jason
Old January 25th, 2007, 7:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Jason,

I've got a 2003 Suburban (Z71... haha) and i've got the same thing going on. Its my mother's daily driver so i haven't had the chance to check it out. Start with the belt... its most likely there. Take it off and check the pulleys too. I had one freeze up from time to time on the compressor. It its the belt... go with a Gatorback much better and cheaper than OEM.

-- Rick
Old January 29th, 2007, 4:00 PM
CF Beginner

Riccas,

I have not changed the belt yet...but that seems to be the bad egg...at idle, it doesn't make the noise...and if you rev the engine to make it make the noise..as soon as you let off gas...goes quiet...I am sure it is the belt and nothing more serious than that...I hope!
Old January 30th, 2007, 1:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Hoytheld,
When you take your belt off, spin the idler pulley, if you can hear any rough noise itmost likelybe bad. They are known to go bad and sometimes its hard to tell where the noise is coming from. It can also make a bad beltscreech.
Good Luck, Dondobe
Old February 2nd, 2007, 2:23 AM
CF Senior Member

If you start it and it is squealling you can spray some wd40 on the belt. If it stops it's the belt. If it helps but dosen't stop change the belt, or you may have something else contributing to it.
Old February 6th, 2007, 8:55 AM
CF Beginner

Changed both belts...the compressor belt was checked a little....main serpintine was not bad...but the bad egg that was contributing more than anything was the tensioner for the compressor belt was locked i n the position where it wasn't providing tension to the belt...took it off and removed the dust cap...lubricated and worked it back and forth till it freed up...good to go now!!!