Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Backup cam install overview

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2012, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup cam install overview

So i just thought that i would share how i did everything since there doesnt seem to be a thread that has the entire process in 1 post. This pertains to a Chevy with the OEM navigation radio in it, and an aftermarket camera.

Here is what you will need:
Backup camera $20(in my case. Costs will vary)
Wiring harness from GM or in my case, a female RCA cable that splits out on the other end to a positive and negative video feed. $15
Chevy dealership to program your radio for a backup cam. $95

I installed an aftermarket camera that I bought off Amazon.com for $20. There was one wire coming out of the camera, then that wire split into 2 wires. One was RCA for the video output, and the other had a red wire, and a black wire. Red for power, and black for ground.

I did not buy any of Coastal Tech's products, or anything like that from any big company. Those are great for what they do, and they are really worth the price, but some of us just want a backup cam, and want to be able to do it fairly cheap.

I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado Vortec Max 6.0. It has the stock navigation in it, except my radio is the one that will not play DVD's. When I put my truck in reverse before getting it reprogrammed, the nav screen did not change at all. After the dealership reprogrammed my radio to accept a backup camera, when i put the truck in reverse, the screen would change to the input screen for the backup cam.

After getting the radio programmed, i removed the radio, and plugged the RCA adapter that i ordered from oem-gm-radios on Ebay, into the C4(brown plug) pins 6 and 7 on the back of the radio. There is a little red slider that slides in the side of the c4 harness, to hold the wires in place. You will need to remove that first, then re-insert it so that the pins stay in place.

Next, I plugged in my cameras RCA plug into the one now installed on the radio, and started running my wire. I went above the gas and brake pedal, then to the rubber grommet, that is behind the junction box to the left of the brake pedal. I had to take the cover off of the junction box, then unclip the box itself, so i could move it to the side enough to have room to run my wire. The rubber grommet is pretty stiff, but i used my thumb to push down the rubber grommet, then stuck a screw driver thru the opening that I had made with my thumb to allow me to be able to push the cameras rca cable thru the hole. Under the hood, i remove the black corner brace thats close to the fuse box, so that I could get to the rubber grommet from the outside and pull my wire thru.

Running the wire was easy, i just ran it along the same path as the trailer wires, all the way to the back of the truck and used zip ties to tie it to the frame or other wires.

As for power, i tapped into the center wire(light green) of my trailer wiring harness under the truck. This is the one that only has power if the truck is in reverse. Ground, i did the same thing with the ground wire(white) that goes into the trailer harness.

I tied up all my excess wire, and mounted my cam to the license plate. And BAM! Backup cam.

If anyone wants to add anything, feel free. If you have any ?'s, i dont mind answering them if I can, but PM me, because I dont always check back on my posts.
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backup camera

great write up

Thanks