Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Bad "Spark plug coil" on Brand New 2500 HD

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2008, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad "Spark plug coil" on Brand New 2500 HD

I am new to the Chevrolet forum, but my buddy wanted me to check this problem out and see if it is really just a "fluke" or rare occurence as the dealer says. He just bought a 2008 2500 HD with all the bells and whistles, got their biggest gas motor for hauling his camper and has about 900 miles on it. He had just left my house when it began idling rough and the check engine light came on. He took delivery the night before. The first 600 miles were put on it by being driven from Midland, TX to another dealer by a transfer driver. (Personally I cringed when I heard that because I used to be a transfer driver for GM and know how I drove those cars.)

Anyway, he took it to the dealer and they said a spark coil had burned out. I am unfamiliar with the newer motors but have heard of these going out on some other vehicles. Has anyone heard about this happening often or is the dealer telling the truth about it just being a "fluke"?

It sure is a nice truck, but it seems like 900 miles is not really enough to mess something like that up.

Thanks
Old October 21st, 2008, 2:42 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Bad "Spark plug coil" on Brand New 2500 HD

just like every other electronic its possible some may last for ever others may be bad out of the box my buddy had to replace one on his 07 avalanche at 37000
Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Bad "Spark plug coil" on Brand New 2500 HD

I went with my buddy to pick it up. He's not very mechanically inclined and wanted me to hear what the mechanic had to say. Basically, they said it happens when the newer models sit on the lot for a long time and then suddenly get used a lot or get taken on a long transfer. Something about the coils sticking and burning together because of residue that needs to be burned off and usually does unless the truck ends up sitting on the lot. With the economy in the bag, the gas crunch and this being a very high end, high priced and high gas consuming vehicle, I guess it sort of makes since that it may have sat on the lot for quite awhile. Anyway, I couldn't find any complaints or TSB's on the web so I hope he doesn't have any further trouble. Especially since I am often either with him it on hunting/fishing trips or hauling something for he and his wife with it. (I have my own '07 1500, but I trade with them to haul the heavier loads toour ranch.)