Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Battery Drain 1995 Z71 4wd

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2012, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain 1995 Z71 4wd

Two months ago my 95 silverado was completely dead after setting for 5 days. Changed battery and all was well until yesterday when again it was dead after setting for 5 days. Not sure how long it actually has to set to go dead this just happens to be the time frame. This is so intermittent i have no idea how to find culprit. Is there any one item that would be more suspect than another, can a dvd player somehow stay energized and drain a battery with the ignition off. Other than lighting system and remote door locks what else remains under power with the switch off. Am thinking about installing a priority start battery isolater, but would much rather find the problem. I did notice that turning the ignition switch to on would make the function lights of the light switch illuminate but this is probably normal. Truck has approximately 60,000 actual miles and is in excellent shape. Any help appreciated. tia. pahoo31
Old November 4th, 2012, 9:23 PM
CF Senior Member

I would check all the grounds and if you know it will sit for a few days before you let it sit take a minute and go through everything the dvd player lights radio etc and make sure nothing is on and see what happens.
Old November 5th, 2012, 2:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Check your terminals. Sounds simple and something you wouldn't think of. My truck was slow starting and the battery wasn't charging and only running at 12 amps. My truck was completely dead one day and I went to jump it and noticed the terminal was loose and never had a problem after. If the terminals are loose or have build up the alternator can't charge the battery the same while driving which could be why its dead when you go to start it again. There's also 4 grooves that are on them. You'll notice them when you look. Rotate it until you feel them lock in and you'll get your best connection. Also the threads on the screw could be worn out and not locking in right. There only a couple bucks and wouldn't hurt to just buy new ones and see if it fixes it
Old November 8th, 2012, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your reply. Terminals were fine. Now looking for relay locations. Would anyone know where the following electrical relays can be found on a 1995 k1500 silverado 4 wheel drive pickup.

Fuel pump relay, heater control high fan blower relay, abs relay, instrument light panel relay, and headlight relay.

Read elswhere that these are the most likely to cause parasitoc issues.
Old November 8th, 2012, 7:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by pahoo31
Thanks for your reply. Terminals were fine. Now looking for relay locations. Would anyone know where the following electrical relays can be found on a 1995 k1500 silverado 4 wheel drive pickup.

Fuel pump relay, heater control high fan blower relay, abs relay, instrument light panel relay, and headlight relay.

Read elswhere that these are the most likely to cause parasitoc issues.
The only fast way to determine what is causing this is with a clamp on amp probe. With it on the + battery cable looking at (non running, key off) pull fuse one at a time till the load drops, even then if it is intermittent it might not show with this system.
Old November 9th, 2012, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Thats the problem, intermitent. I checked it with a multimeter and when all is well the draw is 10 miiliamps. Is there any way an alternater could cause an intermitent drain, like stopping in a certain spot. This never happened until i put on a new alternater, but i have been told that if it was defective it would be defective all the time, not intermitent.
Old November 9th, 2012, 4:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by pahoo31
Thats the problem, intermitent. I checked it with a multimeter and when all is well the draw is 10 miiliamps. Is there any way an alternater could cause an intermitent drain, like stopping in a certain spot. NO This never happened until i put on a new alternater, but i have been told that if it was defective it would be defective all the time, not intermitent. If the battery is "drained" overnight or over time it is something drawing current when not running.
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Old March 26th, 2013, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

Notorious battery drain ( intermittent) and was a factory recall was the cooler weather would cause the door panel to allow the door jam to open slightly and cause the dome light to come on. Turn on the dome override switch.