Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best engine rebuilding manuals/videos/DVD's?

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2011, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best engine rebuilding manuals/videos/DVD's?

Hi All, I was wondering if my peers could point me in the right direction for the best manuals/videos/DVD's for rebuilding the engine in my 1991 Silverado with the 5.7 TBI engine. There are so many out there! I would like it to be have all the info for the DYI'er with lots of details and pictures. Thanks guys for any and all help!
Old September 6th, 2011, 1:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Theres probably something on you tube.
Old September 6th, 2011, 1:02 PM
CF Monarch

you can start with this, I'd however listen with a word of caution or at least read the comments to make sure these are legit.Engine rebuild part 1 - YouTube
Old September 6th, 2011, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your input! I've looked at several of those YouTubes and that's why I wanted something in more depth. I have a regular Haynes manual which is pretty basic. I looked into the Haynes techbook "Chevrolet Engine Overhaul Manual" but a reviewer on Amazon.com said that IT was a basic book so that prompted my search for what is a really good manual, so I put the question here, where the experts are!
Old September 6th, 2011, 2:01 PM
Banned

There are HP SBC books for your rebuild.If you take pics I will try to walk you threw it.First why are you rebuilding it??. Tons of yrs I have to offer.I surf here now and again,so you have to check in for my replies.
Old September 6th, 2011, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Hi T.Neff... I've got to R/R the head gasket at least, on my silverado. It is blowing blue in a steady cloud and a compression test shows no pressure in cylinders #5 & #7 which are right next to each other, and adding oil did nothing. I haven't noticed oil in water or vice versa. My other vehicle is a '92 Blazer 1500 with the same motor and it bent a pushrod. It is apart and has been for a year so it's gonna need a serious rebuild.
Old September 6th, 2011, 3:19 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by printboy63
Thanks for your input! I've looked at several of those YouTubes and that's why I wanted something in more depth. I have a regular Haynes manual which is pretty basic. I looked into the Haynes techbook "Chevrolet Engine Overhaul Manual" but a reviewer on Amazon.com said that IT was a basic book so that prompted my search for what is a really good manual, so I put the question here, where the experts are!
Haynes sucks. < period.
</P>
Old September 6th, 2011, 3:25 PM
Banned

I suggest you take both heads off and post a pic what you have found.Could be a simple fix as head gaskets.The other logic about taking both heads off is it is a prime time to take the heads in to have them checked at a machine shop you trust and a valve job done.Renew the top haft while you have it apart.Job done right means no "do-overs".

As far as the other engine,I can help you with that also.What are your goals with that??.
Old September 6th, 2011, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

@KEVINKPK: I agree but it's good for basic stuff and better than Chiltons! Funny.. my name is Kevin and my initials are KPK.

@T.Neff: That all sounds good and thanks for the offer to help me out! I need to try to find a machine shop around here (near Mountain Home, ARK) to do the valve job, or find a good book and do it myself. I'm cleaning out a big spot in my shop right now so I can get it in and have plenty of room to work on it. Soon as I get that done and rip into it I'll take some good pix and load them into this thread if it lets me. Tomorrow I'm ordering this book: Amazon.com: How to Rebuild Your Small-Block Chevy (9781557880291): David Vizard: Books
Thanks again!
Old September 6th, 2011, 8:08 PM
Banned

Yeah David's book is a good one.Valve job yourself??. I wouldn't suggest that.It is a matter of equipment and tools that for one job is too expensive to buy.

Quick Reply: Best engine rebuilding manuals/videos/DVD's?