Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best oil for 2006 Silverado?

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I have nothing against the "specialty" brand oils (Amzoil, Royal...etc) but I would choose something I know I can find at any Walmart or local Auto parts store...

For the most part you can mix oil brands if you need to, but should avoid mixing synthetic and non-synthetic oils as the different properties of the two can prevent them from properly blending.

I personally have always stuck with Mobil-1 full synthetic
Old July 5th, 2010, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

API requires that all oils, conventional and synthetic be compatible and can be mixed together.

A syn blend will have conventional and synthetic mixed together from the manufacturer.

Oils have improved by leaps and bounds in the last few years. Use any name brand ILSAC GF API SM oil and you cant go wrong and also a good filter. Your engine will last till you become tired of it.
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

I believe your dealer is full of crap, I own a 2006 and it has just over 100k on it and doesnt burn a drop of oil. I have used Mobil 1 since I bought the truck new and it runs like a champ. I personally prefer Mobil 1 cause I make and package it for you fine people so I know I am getting a good product. I also had my tranny flushed and now running Mobil 1 ATF.
Old August 26th, 2010, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

Do you use Mobil 1 synthetic? Ya my 2006 silverado has over 100,000 miles on it too. I have use AMS oil and dealer brand.
Old August 26th, 2010, 8:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use 20 50 chevron non synthetic.
It has an addative to help you get better gas mileage,
it is inexpensive, and you can find it damn near everywhere.
Old August 26th, 2010, 9:13 PM
CF Active Member

i use shell rotella 15w 40w in my truck and 4wheeler also run wix filters in both(which ive been critiszed for in the past but i like it and hasnt failed me yet)
oil is personal prefernce everyone has there own thing its just what ever works best for you

side note:truck has 250k+ miles
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:10 PM
CF Junior Member

+1 For Mobil 1 Full Syn
+1 For Mobil 1 ATF
Old May 19th, 2015, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cwootan80
I believe your dealer is full of crap, I own a 2006 and it has just over 100k on it and doesnt burn a drop of oil. I have used Mobil 1 since I bought the truck new and it runs like a champ. I personally prefer Mobil 1 cause I make and package it for you fine people so I know I am getting a good product. I also had my tranny flushed and now running Mobil 1 ATF.
I have an 06 silverado and a 02 suburban. Both burn oil. I use Castrol gtx most of the time. But try Mobil now on the rado.
Old May 19th, 2015, 4:25 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The 2015's are now using 0W-20... yes that is 0W-20, supposed to help fuel economy....
Old May 19th, 2015, 9:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just go ahead and pick any of the major brand synthetics or blends and you will be fine. Look for sales. I use Schaeffer oil that I get from my commercial supplier that is a great product, but not one that is on the shelf in many places. If I was buying off the shelf, I would target Pennz, QS, or Mobil 1, with my preference being the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

While the lower end Fram filters are questionable, the top end Fram Ultra is a proven quality filter. After that, the Wix/Napa Gold filters would be a good choice. The Mobil 1 filters are pretty good also.

No use trying to overthink the issue. RP is a good oil, but unless you are getting some serious discounts buying it, I am not convinced that it will deliver as much more in performance to match the higher price. But if it helps you to sleep well at night, then go for it.

If you want to get some unbiased takes on various oils, then the Petroleum Quality Institute of America is a good stop off point.

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America

Quick Reply: Best oil for 2006 Silverado?