Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 11:41 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

best performance upgrades for 2002 2500HD 6.0L ???

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2006, 4:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best performance upgrades for 2002 2500HD 6.0L ???

I'm looking for some performance upgrades that will make a difference in mpg and not the kind of upgrades that make false claims. What I'm looking for is an exhaust system (Borla, Gibson, Magnaflow, etc.), computer chip or programmer, and some kind of cold air intake(K&N fipk, Volant, etc.) Does anyone have any experience with these kind of upgrades on the 6.0l or would you recommend something else? Thanks for your advise on this.
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: best performance upgrades for 2002 2500HD 6.0L ???

Don't waist your money on a cold air intake. All they do is make it make a weird noise at WOT. The programmer is pretty much only good for changing tire size and raising the speed limiter. The exhaust already flows good but an aftermarket one would make it sound meaner.

I say save you money and put it towards gas and drive like a grandma everywhere. Make sure it's up to par as far as maintanence and the tires are aired up.
Old August 18th, 2006, 1:47 AM
CF Beginner

NCHEVYHEVN is right to tell you to save your money and use it for fuel. Nothing I ever did to my 6.0L made a bit of difference on fuel mileage. The only thing that helped me was when I put a cover over the bed. I think I gained 1 or 2 mpg and that was on the highway with a total avg. of 14mpg. A friend of mine put a roots type supercharger on his 6.0L and if he goes easy on it he gets 17mpg and alot of power when he needs it also, but this cost him $4000.00.
Old February 19th, 2008, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

I can attest to the tonneau cover adding mpg on the highway... 1.5-2 mpg for me. I just added a Volant CAI with ram air... haven't driven much since so not sure of mileage gains. However, throttle response is much better!
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

I have the K&N Intake, exhaust, and a hypertech programer set on 93 oct, with 33 inch tires, When I installed the intake i deffently noticed more power but the same gas miliage, when i put the exhaust i noticed a little bit more power same miliage, I think the programer helped alot on the highway with the gas it shifts frim and has alot of options. The truck is really fast and realible.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 chevy silverado 2500 HD 6.0 LITER GAS

I have a 2008 chevy silverado 2008 6.0 liter gas and like everyone else wanted to get some upgrades to try and get little extra power but most of all wanted to gain MPG. I first added a K@N air filter and didnt notice alot of difference just little extra sound. then i added a magna exhaust with little noticable change in MPG or power but it sounds awesome makes it a little more fun to drive, Lastly i went to 4 wheel parts asked what programmer i should purchase that may help mostly with MPG and some power they recommended the hypertech max energy after updating it online and getting it installed i took truck for test drive, I have noticed a tad bit more power and little faster on take off. As far as MPG in town still the same some were around 10-12 mpg but did notice a pretty good change on the highway getting around 16-17. All in all enjoy driving the truck but dont think there is a after market product that will show real gaines in miles per gallon. I say just drive it like an ol lady and try and get the best MPG or have fun and drive it like you own it.
Old April 14th, 2012, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

I just traded the exact truck you are asking about and that it was a great truck. I had installed a Spectre CAI, Magnaflow and the Hypertech tuner. ALL THESE WILL SAVE SOME FUEL AND MAKE THE TRUCK A LOT MORE PLEASING TO DRIVE, because it will sound better and perform better. The Hypertech allowed me to set a firmer shift but switching the tunes seemed to do nothing for MPG.

However, that said the offset in savings could only be seen if I drove it conservatively, easy take off, rolling to a red light.

Good tire pressure and the tonneau contributed the most.
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default chevy performance

id have to disagree with the other inputs. I have a 03 Silverado 1500hd 6.0. when I first bought the truck it maybe made 14 mpg all stock with 17 inch rims. I put 20 inch rims on 33in tires, throttle body spacer, spectre cold air intake, bully dog triple dog progamer and performance coil packs and ignition wires all ran around 650 bucks. I noticed a pretty good difference in power and torque on the entire power curve. I also went from maybe 14 mpg to 20 to 22 mpg at highway speeds. my next investment will be in a supercharger because im a power junkie. hope this helps
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:34 PM
CF Active Member

A neighbor here installed RBP cold air intake for his 2010 duramax he use for towing trailer and he felt the improvement on horsepower especially on trail so he suppose it adds up to mpg. See more details about RBP cold air intake and see if it will convince you, better call them for more info.
Also, correct tire pressure and cover on bed surely have something to improve on mpg.
Old September 1st, 2016, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

i have a 2004 suburban and i added a cold in take that seemed to help but i also did a flowmaster exhasted that help more i also added a super chip f5 that really made a big difference.my take off is great and my shifting is awesome .it was great proformance.all my freinds that have been in my truck can feel a big big difference.it sounds great a the preformance is the best .I beat all the other suburbans i come across.

Last edited by Frank Harrell; September 1st, 2016 at 8:31 AM.

Quick Reply: best performance upgrades for 2002 2500HD 6.0L ???