Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:16 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Blower motor runs when ignition is off???

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2010, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower motor runs when ignition is off???

I have a 03 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD. Just this morning during cold weather I arrived at work and the heater blower motor kept running, even with the ignition off. I checked on it about five minutes later and It was still running. The only way I could keep it from draining the battery was remove the fuse from the underhood fuse panel. Could this be a relay that has stuck in the "Made" position. Or maybe could this be part of the resistor on the blower motor. I do have the electronically controled climate control. Anyone have any Ideas, Please help!!!
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the resistor pack on the blower motors would be your best choice. more then likely shorted itself to power
Old November 24th, 2010, 7:29 AM
CF Beginner

thank you very much. I will try this tonight
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:05 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default blower

There shouldnt be any power at the resistor with the switch off. I would guess heater controls.
Old November 24th, 2010, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

stuck relay
Old August 8th, 2011, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default same issue

I have a 03 1500hd that did the same thing tonight. What was the resolution on yours, a defective relay?
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD WRENCH
There shouldnt be any power at the resistor with the switch off. I would guess heater controls.
i think there is a relay for this blower motor. I see this alot in the modified bodies. The school buses, etc. They have a bad relay so they are continuously powered.
Old August 9th, 2011, 9:28 AM
CF Junior Member

it is the resistor most likely melted wires, in the USA, there is a Bulletin, in Canada there is a RECALL for the problem.
Old August 9th, 2011, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fixed

So just a description of the problem, got home and shut off my truck and the blower kept running. Gave it a few minutes, still running. Pulled fuse.. (40A under hood in fuse box) After that it was really weird about how/when it would work, most of the time it wouldn't turn back on. Other times when i did get it on, if I ran them temp up from 60 to 90 it would stop working and would not work until i disconnected the module and then plugged it back in. Whole time module is getting good voltage, just not outputting any to the blower when it wasn't working. After reading through some forums and based on the diagnostics I had done, felt pretty safe that it was the control module.

If you have the dual zone automatic climate control, then you need a blower control module, not a resistor pack. The resistor pack is for the non auto systems. I attached a .jpg of the offending part. The new part number is 89019351. I called around to autozone, oreilly and napa. They all have a replacement part but do not stock it, so I finally called my local chevy dealer and they had it and said it was $108 over the phone. I went up there to pick it up and one other part and they gave it to me at wholesale price, $86. Which that is actually cheaper than the other guys, you can find it on the web for about $65-95, but by the time you pay for shipping and wait a few days....
Attached Thumbnails Blower motor runs when ignition is off???-img_20110809_144307.jpg  
Old February 4th, 2024, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Similar but different problem.

Originally Posted by ssumrall
So just a description of the problem, got home and shut off my truck and the blower kept running. Gave it a few minutes, still running. Pulled fuse.. (40A under hood in fuse box) After that it was really weird about how/when it would work, most of the time it wouldn't turn back on. Other times when i did get it on, if I ran them temp up from 60 to 90 it would stop working and would not work until i disconnected the module and then plugged it back in. Whole time module is getting good voltage, just not outputting any to the blower when it wasn't working. After reading through some forums and based on the diagnostics I had done, felt pretty safe that it was the control module.

If you have the dual zone automatic climate control, then you need a blower control module, not a resistor pack. The resistor pack is for the non auto systems. I attached a .jpg of the offending part. The new part number is 89019351. I called around to autozone, oreilly and napa. They all have a replacement part but do not stock it, so I finally called my local chevy dealer and they had it and said it was $108 over the phone. I went up there to pick it up and one other part and they gave it to me at wholesale price, $86. Which that is actually cheaper than the other guys, you can find it on the web for about $65-95, but by the time you pay for shipping and wait a few days....

so I have a 1999 GMC 1500 Sierra Classic old body truck. The old 5.7 style. Not a new body. I am aware of the 99 up Silverado body blower resistor problems. This is completely different. Turn the truck off/ park it. Wait 30-60 minutes and the blower cuts on for about 10 seconds and cuts off. All by its self. No key on. Then repeat that about every 30 - 60 minutes. Every day, every night. Almost like clock work. It freaks people out sometimes when I’m parked at their house or shop and the blower motor cuts on full blast for 10 seconds. Almost like it’s the defroster setting as well. Any clue I’d be very glad to hear something. Thanks

Quick Reply: Blower motor runs when ignition is off???