Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 4th, 2015, 3:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

BlueTooth without OnStar subscription?

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2015, 8:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by huntingman54
I have an 03 Avalanche. I would like to have my phone calls come through the speakers. Is there a way to do that with the onstar? It is expired. I got the truck used and have never used it so I don't know how to.
As I understand it, bluetooth is unrelated to On-star. Just a wireless way to use your devices. But as to On-Star, I see it as similar to insurance. You're only glad you had it when you NEED it. I'm keeping mine....my wife is more important than a few bucks. No...I DO NOT work for Onstar...just like the idea of them being there in an emergency.
Old May 12th, 2015, 7:33 AM
rlj
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onstar w bluetooth

Good news. If I understand what you are asking for. It works perfectly including steering wheel controls, at least on my 2012 Silverado. look at your OnStar operations manual and it should have all the instructions. You do not have to pay for the voice recognition or blue tooth pairing. They are still there even when OnStar goes. Once you pair the bluetooth phone with the truck everything works just fine. The calls will be sent and recieved through your bluetooth cell.
Rich
Old May 19th, 2015, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

i have tahoe 2014 ltz just i want to know without onstar in my car i can not use bluetooth ?
Old May 20th, 2015, 8:19 AM
CF Junior Member

paslar, You can use your bluetooth equipment without onstar. Check your manual. You will have to pair your phone with your system. Very easy to do. Once this is taken care off you can put addresses of your contacts, and then just tell blue tooth to call them. This is a very nice program. Lets you use your phone without having it to your ear.

You can go to a chey dealer, if needed, they can help you get set up.
Old May 20th, 2015, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

skeeter5 : all time i try to connect my phone to my car just i listen connection error of my car and than when i bring my car in the agency they told me my car not support bluetooth bcos from middle east and just bluetooth for usa tahoe and than when i check all usa tahoe is there onstar . do u have any idea for me to conect my phone to car just just for answer call and use music only ?
thank you very much
Old May 21st, 2015, 4:55 AM
CF Junior Member

paslar, If your car can not support blue tooth, I can't be of any help.

My next suggestion would be to check with your phone provider and see
what they tell you.

You might try to use your phone and go to settings them turn blue tooth on. From there you will need the manual to help you finish setting the system to work.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old May 29th, 2015, 9:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not so sure the prices for Onstar are all that bad, especially for the basic package, which is all I have ever considered. I sure don't need all that routing nonsense, phone call feature, etc. Just something that can monitor the vehicle, the wife can use in an emergency, etc. And with the iPhone app, I can monitor the vehicle tire pressures and other things while I am out on the semi truck away from home, as well as remote start the vehicle, lock and unlock the doors remotely, etc. Just for grins one day, while I was two states away from home, I called the wife and told her I was going to remote start the pickup. It worked. Pickup in Iowa, remote started from Indiana.

On the cell phone blue tooth thing, I am one of those, that when I am driving my pickup, the last thing I want to deal with is some stupid phone call. I usually turn the ringer down, throw it in the center console and forget it till I need it. I use a Blue Parrot headset in my commercial semi truck, but it is rare I answer any call while driving. If someone calls while I am in my pickup and it is important, they can leave a message. I watch people today and their cell phones and just smile at how we were able to win wars and build a nation without nothing more than a landline phone, and a rotary dial one at that! Many folks today wouldn't know how to do much of anything if they had to conduct business and life without a cell phone. I like them as simply a tool, not as a life line to the world or a body appendage.

Last edited by Cowpie; May 29th, 2015 at 9:45 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default Onstar App

Will I still be able to unlock/start the truck from the onstar app without renewing my subscription?
Old September 2nd, 2016, 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LS and have been trying for the past 3 years to figure out a way to pair my Galaxy phone to the car. It's greyed out. I've read the pairing instructions... doesn't help. Any ideas anyone?
Old June 25th, 2018, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Bluetooth should do the for you, all you need to do is push the button on your steering wheel and pair up your phone.