Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

brake lights inop after replacing B.L switch

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2011, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake lights inop after replacing B.L switch

hey guys,

i have looked everywhere. and havent found a whole lot.
i have a 95 K1500 silverado 5.7L. i am having a problem with my brake lights not working. i replaced the brake light switch with one from an auto parts store. i had break lights after i replaced it.

It then wouldnt shift out of park. so i figured out that there was an issue with the new switch where the plunger wouldnt go in far enough. i took the new contacts and put them in the old housing from the old switch. i could then take it and put it in any gear i needed, but i dont have brake lights again. so i just went and bought a new switch and hold down clip from the dealer. i installed that and i still have no brake lights what so ever.

so here is what diagnostic work iv done so far. i have checked the fuses. i have power on both terminals. i checked under the hood maxi fuse and relay. i have power at the relay and the maxi fuse. if i jump the relay power connector (the relay removed) with a wire to the tail light connector (diagnal from the power supply), the brake lights come on. if i jump the one behind the power supply the 3rd brake light comes on. so i have confirmed that from the relay to the rear tail light, there are no issues. so my problem is from the relay, back. i do have power to the brake light switch.

i have read about the white wire that runs from the brake light switch to the cruise control switch and how that can cause the issue as well. i do have access to alldata at any time for wiring diagrams.

can someone please give me an idea on where to go from here.

thank you guys in advance.

Jim

Last edited by realbadchevy; August 2nd, 2011 at 8:51 PM.
Old August 4th, 2011, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

Really no one has any ideas?
Old August 5th, 2011, 9:01 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Jumper the brake light switch, if they come it is still a problem with the switch. You can remove the switch, hook it up, then manually press it in, if the lights work it is not making contact with the pedal.
Old August 5th, 2011, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Found the issue. There is a small harness the runs from brake light switch to another 6 pin connector. The white and brown wire were both broken. The power probe is the awesome for diagnosing.