Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

breaking header bolts on driver side

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2010, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael J.
You were more fortunate? than I was. My problem did not surface until after the warrenty period, so I had to deal with it myself ($). At some point you may have to do the same because my understanding is this is not a "one" time event. I've been told this is an on going problem with this model(6.0) and the fact that it took only 2 months to break a second bolt on your vehicle shows this. The exhaust shop that fixed mine charged considerably less than the dealership, and their experience with this problem was evident in how fast they repaired the problem. Chevrolet has a problem, that unfortunately we will have to deal with, but I still would not own anything else. Good Luck
fortunately when they serviced my truck monday they found one bolt had backed out completely and another one was loose, now they had just done the same job in april, then the service scheduler told me they woould be nice and not charge me, that ate at me for two days and then i called the owner and told her that i didnt appreciate being told i would not have to pay for a poor job they did the first time when i should have got an apology.
Old August 14th, 2010, 1:13 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i honestly cant tell u how much they are for that truck, the clamshell styile mounts were under $150 to buy
Old August 14th, 2010, 2:24 PM
CF Junior Member

ford also have the problem 2
Old May 25th, 2013, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default Engine twist breaking exhaust bolts??

I've owned some torque filled engines before, and have never broken exhaust bolts like I've been reading on this, and other sites. I have at least two broken on my 6.0, haven't looked at the drivers side yet. Being I can't afford to be running to a dealer, and wouldn't trust a muffler shop, I'll be doing this myself. My question is, what kind of bolt should I use as replacements? Grade 8? Sure don't want to use OEM!
Old July 11th, 2013, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Just replaced three broken bolts. Noticed them due to a clicking noise in the engine at start up. As soon as the engine warmed up the noise went away. Two of the bolts i removed with vise grips the third broke off in the engine and I had to have it drilled out. Now I have a NEW problem. The engine has a hesitation when idling. No codes showing. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this? Not showing any real loss of power when driving. Thanks.