Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Caliper slider stuck, seized (can't remove)

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper slider stuck, seized (can't remove)

On the rear caliper, the top slider is free (moves easily by hand) but the bottom slider is seized. I've removed the rubber boot, lubricated with generous amounts of WD-40 and PB blaster, and tapped on it w/ a screwdriver & hammer...no success. Any tricks?

I stole this pic from another website because it looks similar. One of the bolts threads in where the wrench is...and that piece is supposed to slide in & out so the caliper can float.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default Try to unscrew it

I found that when mine was stuck like that I would try and continue to unscrew it while I place a screwdriver under the bolt head and maintain pressure. It is a little slow but once you see it move spray some more WD.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Filipino, I have already removed the bolt...now I'm trying to get the slider to move. It sounds like you're suggesting how to get the bolt out.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 7:07 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At the shop we would heat it up with a oxygen and acetylene torch. You can try to get a propane can (blue) and a plumbers tip from the hardware store
Old August 3rd, 2009, 8:39 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sometimes you have to bite the bullet and get a new knuckle, if you do remove it put some antisieze in the bad boy so this doesnt happen again
Old August 4th, 2009, 12:25 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the advice.

The good news is I got it free. Vise grips as tight as possible, beat on vise grips with hammer, add some PB blaster. Repeat. 10-15 times. I ended up getting it to spin first, then after spinning it around a few times I spun and pushed at the same time and it came out.

Cleaned up the slot it was in w/ WD40 and a small file; cleaned up the pin w/ an emory cloth. Lots of grease on the pin & in the rubber seal and it's back together w/ new pads.

The bad news is the lower slider on the other side is also stuck...and haven't had any luck w/ beating on it yet. Letting the PB Blaster do it's job overnight and will try heat if all else fails.
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Got it as hot as I could w/ propane torch, still wouldn't budge. Eventually I broke the head of the slider off and now have almost nothing to grab onto with the vice grips.

I think the best advice I've heard is drill a hole in the opposite side and try to tap it out with a punch. Also Autozone has one (not in stock) for $24.99 which is by far the easiest route.