Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Can high mileage cause a rear main seal to leak?

Old November 3rd, 2010, 3:38 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can high mileage cause a rear main seal to leak?

I have a 93 silverado with 253,000 miles. I have a oil leak and the oil is leaking between the oil pan and bell housing. I bought the truck back in March and since then just last week I had to add a quart. This is the first time i've added a quart of oil since i've bought it. The engine is probably the original engine that came with the truck. Its a 350 and its very mechanically sound but you can tell its old by looking at it. I have read that the rear main seal can leak because of internal engine damage or whatever... but I also read that it can leak due to high mileage. I am thinking about replacing the seal but I dont want to spend all the money to replace it just to find out that its leaking again because of engine damage.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 5:01 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seals can go bad, nothing really lasts forever, some stuff just can last a lot longer than others.
It is likely due to high mileage. Listen to your engine for a knocking sound or some other bad sound that
Would indicate a mechanical issue. But as far as seals/gaskets go, just get it replaced, it is most likely
Just due to age/mileage.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 6:27 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I don't hear any knocking. The engine sounds really good. I get some kind of valve clatter or engine lifter noise a tiny bit when im inside the cab driving... but you cannot hear it from the outside while accelerating. I get a solid rumble from the engine dont hear any noises... although I hear a tiny "whirring noise or wobbling noise" or something under the hood around the engine area. I cant really pintpoint it. It doesnt increase in loudness when im accelerating either. Its just a steady noise so I dont know what its coming from. Its not really noticeable. The alternator and water pump are brand new so it cant be those bearings.