Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

car turns over, but will not start

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2006, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car turns over, but will not start

Hope someone can help me out with this. I know lots of problems with people and starting trucks, but could not find anyone with same problem I am having. I have a '97 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, truck was running fine and then all of a sudden it will not start. Turn the key and the engine turns over fine, I checked and there is fuel getting to the engine and I can hear the pump come to life, but the spark is very small.... I changed out distributor cap, rotor, replaced the wires and plugs, bought a new coil and chip that works with the coil, but still getting only a small spark, have it hooked up to a battery charger to keep battery nice and charged since not running... wife has later told me that the check engine light was coming on for about two days, of course she didn't mention it until the car would no longer start.... any help would be appreciated... Thanks!!!
Old December 19th, 2006, 9:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: car turns over, but will not start

it's not a vortec engine is it??? If it's not, I would say that it is the pickup coil in the distributor...if the engine light came on, you need to find out what code it stored(by purchacing a reader or taking it to a shop)....
Good luck
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:47 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: car turns over, but will not start

You should try checking the fuel pressure. You should have atleast 53 psi. If there isn't above the 53 psi the engine will not start. The fuel pump may be working but it might not be able to build enough pressure. I had the same problem with my truck. I had 50 psi of fuel pressure and it wouldn't run so i changed the fuel pump and it started right up.