Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

changing coolant...

Old April 14th, 2009, 3:46 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy, there is alot of crap about Dexcool going on. Here is a little story from Consumeraffaris.com

More than 30 GM cars and trucks built from 1995 to 2004 are involved.....

More here ----> http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ol_settle.html
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm given to understand(primarily by manufacturers claims) that Dex-Cool is safe for the new style cooling system, and the aluminum(?) fins on the system's radiator. I've done two waterpump R&Rs re-using the existing coolant!

This summer (albeit at 75K miles) I will be flushing and replacing it with new Dex-Cool and bottled water, in the proper proportion. After 4 years the fluid has taken on a Sepia tone to it's color which indicates it's at the end of it's service life. In the past I found trusting standard
green antifreeze (like Prestone) over 2 years was pushing it. So the Dex-Cool has doubled the service interval for me.

The only thing I've added to top off the overflow reserve bottle on rare occasions so far is bottled water.

I like the new cooling system, had one a lot like it in my Jeep, and this one has worked well. I, for one, barring unforseen problems, will be sticking with Dex-Cool.

Last edited by therewolf; April 15th, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old April 21st, 2009, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok.. still running into a few problems...
radiator IS leaking... I had a compression test done- he put 100 pounds of pressure and it was SLOWLY losing pressure... mechanic said there was no leak as it wasn't leaking when the compression is on.
I disagreed, and set out to find this phantom leak. Turns out here is a leak at the point where the oil cooler line enters the radiator tank on the driver's side at the top of the radiator... It only leaks when the truck has been running for a while or after it is turned off... small pin hole in the flat steel near the outside of the radiator threading
I am guessing I need a new radiator as the rad tank is plastic?
also the reservoir is leaking where the hose attaches.. the 'male' piece on thee reservoir where the hose attaches is cut at an angle, is that the way it is supposed to be?
I don't want to spend $50 in coolant to flush it only to do it again to replace the radiator and tank...

thanks...
PS- where the heck are the block plugs for draining the block?
Old April 21st, 2009, 4:39 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

make sure the retaining nuts are tight for the internal cooler, I thought I needed a new radiator for the same leak on my 97 Tahoe and all it was was the retaining nut was working loose.

I don't think you want to go removing the block plugs unless you have had some major rust or contamination issues, a good flushing should do.

Last edited by in2pro; April 21st, 2009 at 4:42 PM.
Old April 21st, 2009, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i tightened the cooler line after removing it and cleaning it... it's a small hole that i found by using a short pencil to 'feel' the steel flange... there is a hole in that flange surrounding the thread area... I don't know how else to describe it.