Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Changing instrument bulbs and can use some help

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2011, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing instrument bulbs and can use some help

I am in the process of upgrading the lighting on my 2000 silverado to LED type lighting. Itook the instrument cluster apart and found that there are 2 different size bulbs. The 4 main bulbs are 194 type. I don't know what type the smaller ones are. These are the ones behind the warning indications and turn signals. Also all of the lights on my AC controls are out and I am not sure of that size bulb or if I can even change them. If htere is anyone out there who can offer some advice I appreciate it.
Old January 13th, 2011, 8:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never did the AC controls even though I had a few dead ones I could disassemble and find out what kind of bulb is in there. I did this 2x in my Chevy and not yet in the CAdillac. OK, in my suburban I saw the same thing you did 5 #194 bulbs and about 8 smaller ones(didnt know the number though). On my van I put 6 #194 bulbs in the IC and one in the AC.

Heres the deal with LEDs. They have kinds that illuminate from the top of the bulb and others who illuminate from the side. In my C15 I put red LED that illuminate from the side. Problem? It was cool because the needle lit up red and the danger zones on the gauge display really popped but you couldnt see the numbers. My dash is left: oil/water; center: speedo; right: fuel/battery. All I was concerned with was the speedo, you gotta know how fast you re going. OK, so side lit bulbs wont work for an cluster that is backlit. I got off EBay blue filmed lights #211/212 for the dome lights(CHEAP! I dont like them-Chinese crap)

In my G20 I put top lit blue LEDs. Real nice look. The IC on G vans is illuminated from the sides, so it has a real gooey blue when you turn the lights on. I also used 6-diode blue LED #211/212 bulbs for the dome lights REAL NICE

On the Cadillac I havent done the IC yet but it is like the G vans, illuminated from the side. I ordered RED film #211 bulbs from the same company that I got the blue ones from. The reds are better than the blues I think, so I replaced all the interior #211 style bulbs with red filmed ones. And the dome/map reading lights I replaced with the red LEDs I had left over and the license plate bulb also. Its real nice. Problem is the red isnt bright enough so I dont get the murderous Mafioso mood I m trying to set in a black Cadillac. But what I m thinking of doing for the G and the Caddy is running a strip on monochromatic Christmas lights above the door sills. Not sure if I do LEDs or filament bulbs. For the Caddy(red) I ll need like 14 feet to encircle the car from the inside above the windows. The G(blue or white) I think about 30 feet is enough.

Things to consider: side lit vs. top lit, one diode/bulb vs. multiple, bright vs. regular, color. There may be others but I dont know.

I may pull the red LEDs out of the Suburban and put them in the G20, because the blue bulbs are top lit and color coordinate with a blue Burb(especially with a backlit IC).

Last edited by RacerX; January 13th, 2011 at 8:39 AM.
Old January 13th, 2011, 9:22 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all your bulb size needs go to www.sylvania.com then click automotive and enter your vehicle. Giggity
Old January 13th, 2011, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. I ordered some T5 size white LEDs that look like the same size. I'll give those a try and let you know the result. The AC lights look like they have to be soldered in so that will take some time but it's a Chevy so its worth the time. Later